Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a used lens for an Intrepid camera

Oregon's Beautiful Green Willamette Valley

Looking for advice on a used lens for an Intrepid camera

I'm brand new to this site (and wish I'd found it ages ago) and thought I'd jump in by asking for others' thoughts about some lenses I'm considering, strictly for landscape work. I'm buying a 4X5 Intrepid, and as a retiree on a very limited income I have to consider prices of lenses and accessories very carefully. So far, I've put these on my list . . .

Fujinon-L 210/5.6 #255036, cover 4x5, single coated, Copal #1, caps, Ex/Ex+ $145.
    (Igor)

Kodak Ektar 152/4.5 #ES884, c.1947, cover 4x5, Supermatic shutter (CLA'd), front cap, Ex+ $145. does not say if it’s coated or not
    (Igor)

Kodak 203mm f/7.7 Ektar SYN ComP Graphic BT (38 MT) 4X5 Lens – does not say if coated or not
    (KEH) – (have no plans ever to use flash with it)

210 Symmar-S (have no info on this, just saw some positive comments about it.)

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Re: Looking for advice on a used lens for an Intrepid camera

The postwar Ektars should be coated, but you can check the front ring for a circle with an L in the type info (luminized)...

Shutters should work, but might need a CLA soon, but very good shutters...

Shutter lensboard diameters are a little different than more modern shutters, but can be adapted... Make sure you get the locking rings with them...

Steve K

Small town, South Carolina, US

A lens from 135mm to 210mm would be the most common focal lengths for landscape. Although I would prefer a 135mm or 150mm lens as my first, one of the 210's mentioned in your post would be the best bet. The 210mm Symmar-S is very likely to be multicoated. And would be my pick if in a working Copal shutter.

IMO, best value and most likely to have a good/working shutter is the "Fujinon-L 210mm, f5.6" from Igor Camera. If the lens is a dud, it is returnable for another.

~Fujinon L, previously discussed:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...+portrait+lens

Second would be the Symmar S, which should be easily available as excellent to good used at modest cost, likely more $ than the Fujinon L. These were available in Copal, Compur, Prontor shutters (all are good if in proper condition). Symmar S was also offered in Sinar DB mount, stay away from these as they are Sinar shutter specific even if the $ is SO tempting as it will NOT be usable in any way on the camera you're planning to get.

~This applies to any Similar modern Lens (Plasmat) from Schneider, Nikon, Rodenstock, Fujinon.

Kodak 203mm f7.7 Ektar is an excellent lens, they were made in the US and UK with different serial numbers. They are often found in Kodak Supermatic or Graphic (Compur) shutter. While the lens is excellent, the shutter is likely going to be a problem due to age and lack of maintenance/serviced. Much identical applies to the Kodak 152mm f4.5 Ektar.

At this point in your view camera journey, recommended to stay away from vintage view camera lenses due to the risk of questionable shutters. What will compound the learning curve is a whack unreliable and problem shutter as this will impact film exposure and more causing grief and discouragement.

Majority of view camera lenses were coated after 1950 with "multi-coating" in the later 60's. Single -vs- multi coating is not nearly as important in view camera lenses due to their simplicity and fewer optical elements. Know there were few if any "hobbyist" view camera lenses designed and produced as this view camera stuff was much for folks very serious about image making and image quality and the common domain of folks trying to keep a roof over their head, food on the table and daily survival with their Foto gear.

Keep in mind, other stuff required will be:

~Light meter (spot meter highly favored).
    ~Tripod and head.
    ~Film holders.
    ~Focusing loupe.
    ~Cable release.
    ~Tape measure.
    ~Dark cloth (to focus and see with).
    ~Outfit case.

Then:
    ~Film.
    ~Means to process film.
    ~Print making.

Camera/lens is a small part of the much greater whole.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by 18%gray View Post
    I'm brand new to this site (and wish I'd found it ages ago) and thought I'd jump in by asking for others' thoughts about some lenses I'm considering, strictly for landscape work. I'm buying a 4X5 Intrepid, and as a retiree on a very limited income I have to consider prices of lenses and accessories very carefully. So far, I've put these on my list . . .

Fujinon-L 210/5.6 #255036, cover 4x5, single coated, Copal #1, caps, Ex/Ex+ $145.
    (Igor)

Kodak Ektar 152/4.5 #ES884, c.1947, cover 4x5, Supermatic shutter (CLA'd), front cap, Ex+ $145. does not say if it’s coated or not
    (Igor)

Kodak 203mm f/7.7 Ektar SYN ComP Graphic BT (38 MT) 4X5 Lens – does not say if coated or not
    (KEH) – (have no plans ever to use flash with it)

210 Symmar-S (have no info on this, just saw some positive comments about it.)

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.

My money would be on the 210mm Symmar-S in a reliable, working Copal shutter. The Ektar's are fine lenses, but I'd bet that anything you'd buy will require a CLA on the shutter. No experience with the Fuji 210 you mentioned.

I have a variety of Kodak Ektar lenses and I use these more than any other large format lenses I own. The 203mm Ektar is almost certainly a coated lens (Circle L = Lumenized) and it is exceptional, though at f7.7, its not exactly bright on the ground glass. It has a large image circle (will cover 5x7 with some movement) so it allows for plenty of movements on 4x5. Its an amazing lens, its tiny; light, and the shutter is very simple so its easy to clean if it needs it.

Hi, Folks --

I posted a thank-you note here a few days ago, for all the responses, but it seems to have gone away.

So once again I thank everyone who took the time to offer some advice, of which I am in much need.

-gray

Don't forget filter sizes, if you plan on using any filters. Old lenses, like the 203 Ektar, is a terrific lens, but it does take series filters with an adapter. That's a bit of a pain.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Modern lenses (<40yr old) tend to have the same look across different manufacturers... Typified by a sharp looking, contrasty, "brighter" look with better lens coatings... Downside is they can look cold, hard and a brittle focus, and sacrifice flowing mid-tones... But many translate these into "sharper" rendition due to the higher contrast...

Older lenses are usually lower in contrast so don't have the "bite" of modern lenses, but are still sharp and have a smoother tonality weaving through the sharpness... But can produce flatter contrast on the print that many find boring until the user finds a refined way to print images...

Most newbies expect LF "bigger is better" on their early results, so maybe a modern style lens is a better starter... But trying an earlier lens later is helpful if one is thinking the newer lenses produces harder results beyond one's taste...

Plenty of new lenses around with shutters still working fine for not too much $$$ to try, and wait until an old lens comes your way for low $$$ to try and see if you prefer the "look"...

ALL shutters will eventually need an overhaul sooner or later, so factor that into costs...

When you start printing a lot, you will know your needs...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Hi, all --

Well I finally decided; I bought a Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 150mm f/5.6 MC in a Copal 0, for two main reasons.

1) I have been trying for a long time to obtain a lens for the Intrepid that that I'm planning on buying, that will do what I need it to do, and that I can afford to buy. I was about to give up when I found one (the Symmar) that is mechanically and optically sound but marked down for a minor cosmetic issue, and

2) I saw several mentions of that lens in the foregoing advisory posts.

It is coming in a Toyo board, and the Intrepid site says that camera takes Linhof boards, so once my time in purgatory here is completed I'm hoping that I can swap, or sell the Toyo and buy a used Linhof board from someone here.

Thanks again for all your help.