Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 sheets of film in the same holder?

2 sheets of film in the same holder?

So this may be a silly question, but has anyone shot 2 sheets of film in the same side of the holder? What were your results?

I had the idea to try and load some Delta 100 and Ektar 100 in the same side of the same holder, essentially trying to create a perfectly registered black and white and color negative of the exact same portrait, then developing them appropriately, scanning them, and combining them in photoshop after processing each one individually to see if it would allow me any more control over the color/sharpness/contrast of the final film images than I am currently able to get from my current processing techniques.

Absurdity of the idea aside, I was wondering if I could expect to actually be able to get 2 good negatives shooting this way. My assumption would be that the images closest to the film plane would probably be ok, but I am not sure about the image on the film behind it. I imagine that it would be, at the very least, a bit softer as it is not sitting on the same exact film plane, but I was curious if it would have any other issues with exposure, proper color (if it was the color stock), proper exposure, or anything else I may not be thinking of.

I don't mind if I try this and don't get good overall results, but I figured I would look into the feasibility of even shooting 2 sheets at the same time before wasting the film completely.

Re: 2 sheets of film in the same holder?

The anti-halation layer of the front sheet would make that difficult.

Yes, what Dugan said. Maybe if you used Litho film for the B&W, that might be transparent enough to shoot through? I've shot with it before and it can get good pictorial results with the right development. But shooting through it would filter the colors hitting the color film.
    Also, the tiny little bit of thickness added might affect focusing.

its happened to me when first time loading in many years. 2 sheets felt like one in the dark.

negative on top turned out fine with minor scratching, the one below was just blotched. but when i was putting the darkslide in after the shot, it felt like the top sheet may have been on the wrong side... i pulled it n slid it in again. it went in better the second time but jammed tight at the bottom.

when getting it out to develope it, i realized it was 2 sheets.

I am very enthusiastic about ADOX CHS 100 film. Wonderful tonal scale and no surprises when I follow Adox’s development advises. They pack the film sheets with paper sheets between them so you can’t go wrong (if you’ve checked that the holder is empty when you load it).

Foamer

I've stuffed two sheets of FP4 into the same slot by mistake. It's a complete waste of film and I'm lucky it didn't screw up both.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Why not put them on opposite sides then just take a shot and flip it around and shoot again. Then you can stack them when scanning if you want that effect.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I believe you could wash the anti-halation layer off the film in the dark, dry in the dark, then use it in the camera (would only have to be top one of the two sheets).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

>> I was wondering if I could expect to actually be able to get 2 good negatives shooting this way

Think of the first sheet as a light filter for the second one... Sharpness and plane of focus aside what amount of light do you think will be able to get through it , will it be close to a 100%?
    A hint - try to look through a sheet of undeveloped film
    Last edited by SergeyT; 11-Jun-2021 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Why not put them on opposite sides then just take a shot and flip it around and shoot again. Then you can stack them when scanning if you want that effect.
    The idea was to have them be exactly the same is that I could overlay them and have them be perfectly registered. Even if I shot them from opposite sides of the holder in quick succession there would be enough subject movement that the registration would be off.