Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x loupe

Re: 4x loupe

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I got one from China. I don't think it is available in the US yet. I think the optics are similar to the toys loupe I used to own. I don't have side by side comparison. I like the look better.
    Attachment 216685
    Attachment 216686
    It is available from Chamonix website at $160.

Historically the Schneider 4x loupe with the snap interchangeable closed or diffuser base was very common and accepted standard for a good film viewing light box loupe. Did double duty as a ground glass focuser loupe with the closed base.

IMO 4x is not enough magnification, but bright aiding focusing for some, not all eyes.

The all time fave GG focusing loupe has been the Horseman 7x. Larger diameter GG loupe does produce a larger/brighter image at lower magnifications, trade off being the physical diameter and size of the loupe tends to limit where the loupe can be placed on the GG. Long style focusing loupes tend to get in the way in the weirdest ways. Having owned-used a long list of these long GG focusing loupes, they have all found another home.

Other option of the Horseman 7x loupe, it can be flipped 180 degrees and used off angle (tilted) making it a LOT more effective when working with a really wide angle lens. This is where a fresnel, long and larger diameter focusing loupe does not do good at all.

After a few decades and LOTs of looking into, these loupes are not so pretty any more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman 7x loupe.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	216688

Regardless, of loupe preference, it is important the distance between eye to GG is adjustable and stay adjusted. Rubber base ends to have too much traction against the GG (slows down and adds grief to the focusing process). The GG is not gonna scratch that easy given the base of the Horseman 7x loupe is anodized aluminum, slide easy and good on the GG. Never scratched the GG during the decades of using this loupe.

Bernice

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have used the Horseman loupe and still have it. I like the Toyo 4x loupe the best. And, have used a late model Hasselblad chimney finder also.

Thankyou very much, I'll look into finding one. Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated. Years ago I was very near sighted, which was not a problem for gg or easel close up viewing. I have since had cataract surgery, my distance viewing is better than it ever was but I have lost my "natural macro viewing." I feel the advice of 7x is sound. Thankyou bk

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Historically the Schneider 4x loupe with the snap interchangeable closed or diffuser base was very common and accepted standard for a good film viewing light box loupe. Did double duty as a ground glass focuser loupe with the closed base.

IMO 4x is not enough magnification, but bright aiding focusing for some, not all eyes.

The all time fave GG focusing loupe has been the Horseman 7x. Larger diameter GG loupe does produce a larger/brighter image at lower magnifications, trade off being the physical diameter and size of the loupe tends to limit where the loupe can be placed on the GG. Long style focusing loupes tend to get in the way in the weirdest ways. Having owned-used a long list of these long GG focusing loupes, they have all found another home.

Other option of the Horseman 7x loupe, it can be flipped 180 degrees and used off angle (tilted) making it a LOT more effective when working with a really wide angle lens. This is where a fresnel, long and larger diameter focusing loupe does not do good at all.

After a few decades and LOTs of looking into, these loupes are not so pretty any more.

Name:	Horseman 7x loupe.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	216688

Regardless, of loupe preference, it is important the distance between eye to GG is adjustable and stay adjusted. Rubber base ends to have too much traction against the GG (slows down and adds grief to the focusing process). The GG is not gonna scratch that easy given the base of the Horseman 7x loupe is anodized aluminum, slide easy and good on the GG. Never scratched the GG during the decades of using this loupe.

Bernice
    Why is it important the distance between eye to GG is adjustable and stay adjusted?

Distance between loupe base to optics to eye must be properly adjusted, then set to focus the magnified image into your eye. Given this distance is different for each individual, this must be a fine incremental adjustment and stay fixed once set.

Every good Foto loupe has this adjustment.

This is the all time fave non-ground glass loupe, Schneider 6x Aspheric. Got this when Schneider first introduced it. Previous to this was the Schneider 4x (essentially industry standard back then) Compared to all others including the Rodenstock Aspheric (think it was re-designed after introduction), it was by FAR the best. Lowest distortion, bright with GOOD resolution and adjustable.

Name:	Schneider 6x Aspheric front.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	216721

Back side, skirts off. The leather case was from another German made long ground glass focusing loupe that got another home.

Name:	Schneider 6x Aspheric back.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	216722

Fujifilm gave away these 4x loupes back in the day when Fuji introduced Velvia and their "new" Fujichrome. These have a metal housing with a skirt slider, multi-coated glass optics and very good loupe as a free promo item.

Name:	Fujifilm 4x free-bee.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	216723

The big Peak 6x.

Name:	Peak big 6x.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	216724

All these lopues have adjustable optical system to bottom of skirt adjustments that are damped to resist movement once set. Keep in mind these loupes were designed to be used to view film on a light table. Ground glass duty was an option.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why is it important the distance between eye to GG is adjustable and stay adjusted?

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Once I re-dialed in the loupe for my eye, it eliminated big frustration after the focus point had shifted. Painting the two white dots on the barrels to mark "my perfect focus", all guesswork was eliminated. Due to damping on my 7x loupes (same but one branded Horseman, other branded Calumet), the focus tends to stay put...but not always. Dots are insurance.

PARAGON Loupe by Pitman Co 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Easy to see all the edges and corners at 10X with the PARAGON by Pitman Co. I used to use one of these when I worked in a Color Separation House. Great for viewing film or groundglass. Bought well used on Ebay for $25. Available brand new around $55.

PARAGON Loupe by Pitman Co 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here fine focusing the top (taking lens) of my 4x5 TLR Sinar Norma.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I like my 4X Rodenstock.

In the past I have used an "Optivisor" head set like jeweers and watchmakers use.

I have also used a pair of perscription "reading" glasses with high magnification ("high" for reading glasses).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

My main loupes are a Pentax 5.5x, simple magnifier, Agfa Lupe 8x, small 10x loupe, and a pair of prescription eyeglasses.

Pentax 5.5X: This is my favorite loupe except for using it with WA and extreme WA lenses. The top lens on the Pentax is almost double the diameter of the Peak/Horsemen 6x that it replaced. This makes a huge difference when using them on a GG. The bottom base is clear. I have heard that an interchangeable opaque base was also available.

Plain/simple magnifier used by Eugene Smith: Excellent for using with WA and ultra WA lenses. Most people think that W Eugene Smith only used 35mm cameras. According to his son, who I got the loupe from, he also was very adept in using an 8x10 Sinar Norma to photograph his Pittsburg essay.

Agfa Lupe 8x: Honestly the loupe I use the most. Totally plastic but it just works and takes up very little room. Can be accidently dropped onto a rock without worrying about breaking glass. Lots of times I leave the much larger Pentax home and take another lens in its place.

Small 10x loupe: Use this one on the GG of my 4x5 Nikon Multiphot. Came with the Multiphot but I don't think that Nikon offered it. Too much magnification for me in the field.

Prescription close up eyeglasses allow me to view the GG from approximately 5-6 inches away. My Optometrist called them jeweler's eyeglasses since the only other pair he ever had made was for an amateur jeweler. With these both hands are free, but they are not as precise as my Pentax loupe.

Addendum: Just found my Linhof 8X loupe. Being smaller than my Agfa 8x Lupe, it regularly got misplaced, and one time even left behind. Presently I am trying to figure out how to attach a fluorescent sunglass strap to it using heat shrinking tubing. It will then replace my Agfa lupe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loupes.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg; 23-Jun-2021 at 08:21. Reason: added Addendum