Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x loupe

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: 4x loupe

Sorry to dig up an old and seemingly resolved thread. I've ben following this (and others, perhaps) because I've never had a loupe that really satisfied all my needs. Smaller 4x loupes worked with some cameras but gave me fits with cameras that had hoods. Yes, I could always remove the hood but like them for GG protection when not in use. So looking for a vintage loupe and frustrated because of cost and that most are in Japan. So opted to try a new made-in-china loupe, eTone 6x. For under $100 received a really well made loupe that really works great for my applications. Adjustable focus; rubber ends; metal construction; clear glass... and a neck strap too. There are several eBay vendors (who I think really might be the same organization using different names) - some shipping from China; others shipping from Kentucky. Delivery time was about 7 days from order.

Peak makes an inexpensive 5x loupe for about $15. It works pretty well and if you drop it or step on it in the field you haven't broken the bank.

-Joshua

To protect the contact edges and prevent them from scratching glass, etc, simply clean the bottom edges with alcohol, and dip the first half to one inch base, repeatedly in a can of Plastidip (plastic dip), which is easy to find in North America.

Just allow the unmolested layers to 'cure' on a clean piece of polished glass or very clean stainless, sitting flatly upright.

You can use this with the entire clear base, but work cleanly, and quickly enough no to overcoat the piece or cause ugly drips/runs or protrusions.

I've been served very well by a Silvestri 6x tilting loupe, the Sophia Loren of loupes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That's a camera?

I am a fan of the Pentax 5.5x lupe for looking at negatives. It's too big for practical ground glass use.