Thread: Post yer 35mm shots!

Re: Post yer 35mm shots!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woodpecker.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	216555

Darting out on an errand!

She’s a Three-toed Woodpecker, working hard all day, along with her mate, hunting insects for a young (murmuring) brood inside the tree. The parents searched in 15-minute cycles, arriving back to the nest at separate times. At dusk the female disappeared into the tree for the night, instructing the male to sleep outdoors. At dawn it was back to a full day of work.

-----
    I set-up a flash-mounted tripod near the tree (SB-28), metered the flash for manual, then mounted a Nikon FM3a (w/ 300mm/4.5 AIS IF-ED) on a second tripod 30 feet away, connected with a long pc cord. Shot Provia-100 at 1/250th flash sync speed, leaving her in a bit of blur. I soon removed the two tripods in case they were spooking the parents, but since my tent was nearby, I continued to watch their child-devoted labor from afar.

Name:	000009830001_02.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	216569

Nikon FM2

In my immortal youth, I managed to get this shot of exploding oil tanks at a chemical storage facility in Louisville, in 1969. I heard and felt the initial explosion from around .75 miles from our apartment. I grabbed my camera, and jumped in the car, heading for where the action was. The old Bronoco Chemical Company had a number of storage tanks, mostly partially filled just west of downtown Louisville. The origin of the fire was never determined, and the Louisville Fire Department's history gives the story several paragraphs.
    I was hustled away from the scene by Louisville Police after I got only three exposures. This one was from 1/2 block away. Camera was a Petri FT, with a Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 preset lens, and Ektachrome ASA 64 film.

There is always the fear and risk of a fire at a large chemical company, especially one as large as the Ashland Chemical Company. Fear became reality on May 5, 1969. The origin of the fire is still unknown but the results were devastating. Bronoco, a subsidiary of Ashland, was located at 1315 W. Kentucky Street. The warehouse facility contained several storage tanks usually filled with several hundred thousand gallons of volatile and flammable chemicals. Consequently, the fire spread quickly and led to a chain of chemical explosions. Balls of fire spewed high into the air and an orange glow hovered over downtown Louisville.

Over one hundred firemen and numerous policemen arrived on the scene, not only to fight the fire, but also to evacuate the nearby residents. However, the firemen were at a disadvantage because they were not sure about the type of chemicals contained in the tanks.

The firemen proceeded to hook up the water hoses and spray the tanks in order to keep the blaze from spreading to the neighboring Porter Paint Plant, Superior Paper, Inc., and Distillers Grain, Inc. Since all of these companies contain highly flammable materials, the firemen had to be more cautious to prevent the fire from spreading. They would make progress only to be turned back as another tank exploded.

Over two hundred and fifty firemen and twenty-five trucks arrived before the battle was over. They persisted to conquer the fire and didn't stop until early morning. Although Bronoco was destroyed, the firemen were able to prevent the fire from spreading. It was amazing that there were no civilian casualties and only four firemen were injured, one with a sprained back and others from smoke inhalation.

Name:	Bronoco Chemical Fire - Louisville - 05-05-1969 - Take 1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	216593
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Close call! Its banded patterns serve as a very nice camouflage in the reeds.

I'm curious if this is a banded water snake near a lake or creek.

Before digital, 35mm cameras were excellent for unexpected wildlife encounters. Still are, of course. ;^)
    It is a "Common Watersnake", and appropriately named because they are quite common around here. Fortunately not dangerous in the least. This was just steps away from a beaver pond with surrounding marshy area, so it was in its home turf.
    In contrast, I had just taken this photo, moments before:

Name:	Concrete1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	216596

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisR View Post
    Nikon FM2

I love that.

Thanks Ben

Nikon N6006 Tmax400 scanned on Epson V850. Adjusted in Lightroom 6.

Clearing Brush with Fire 3
    by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Here's a forty year old Ektachrome 64 taken with my Nikon Nikonos IVa underwater camera with a strobe light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48899520543_14b98a0c9b_b.jpg  

Name:	Banjo-CI.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	216661

taken with a pentax spotmatic on triX