Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scitex Smart 342L scanner modification.

Scitex Smart 342L scanner modification.

Now the scanner has a higher resolution. It was possible to make an optical modification. One can see the USAF resolution target scans before and after.

I like this beast and I am very happy to give it the second life: it's optics stepped up to the highest league. (Mechanics was there already.)

Al

PS. Never scanned with such a big real optical resolution. It's great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smart_vs_SmartEx_gr.jpg  

Re: Scitex Smart 342L scanner modification.

Great...........................but how????
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, it is unbelievable: scanner's own 110mm Rodenstock lens (used for 35mm scans), if extended, changes optical magnification 2 times. The scanning area was 48mm, now it is 24mm. It's optimal for 35mm. There is a space for that extension inside the scanner - I had to remove the reflective lamps tray only. Perhaps the scanner was designed with that option. Otherwise it's a miracle.

Best wishes,
    Al

PS. I wish to talk with Smart 3XX creators. I think they have a lot of interesting stories to tell about how those great scanners were made.

That looks very similar, possibly slightly better, to what I get with iQsmart3, which I estimated to be about 5400pi.

I have a spare Scitex LFOV lens, it's a Rodenstock 108mm 5.6 p/n 11401962, and I might have a go at fitting that to a spare iQsmart at some point. I know the focal length will be different and it may need some jigging around but that's my nature. The iQsmart diagnostics make some reference to calibrating the butting targets but I can find no service manual for these scanners. If re-mapping the butting targets is possible then a lens swap might be possible as well as retaining the XY stitch - which would be great.

If anyone knows of a service manual I'm wiling to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrinter View Post
    That looks very similar, possibly slightly better, to what I get with iQsmart3, which I estimated to be about 5400pi.
    Yes. Modified Smart 342 is 5800 for sure. I guess 6000+ dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrinter View Post
    I have a spare Scitex LFOV lens, it's a Rodenstock 108mm 5.6 p/n 11401962, and I might have a go at fitting that to a spare iQsmart at some point. I know the focal length will be different
    BTW what is the lens in IQsmart? Scitex LFOV lens is from Eversmart family and they are useing moving mirror for optical magnification change.

IQsmarts and Eversmarts have serious geometrical problems (nearly all of them) and I have no final solution how to solve it. Yet.

PS. It is a good idea to play with flashlight, paper, rooler and lens to get maximum of all that stuff.

Regards
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SmartEx-processed.jpg  

Have you tried to optimize the 67mm lens in the same manner?

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

My Smart 340 died. Now I have 7 great enlarging lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by SURF View Post
    Yes. Modified Smart 342 is 5800 for sure. I guess 6000+ dpi.

BTW what is the lens in IQsmart? Scitex LFOV lens is from Eversmart family and they are useing moving mirror for optical magnification change.

IQsmarts and Eversmarts have serious geometrical problems (nearly all of them) and I have no final solution how to solve it. Yet.

PS. It is a good idea to play with flashlight, paper, rooler and lens to get maximum of all that stuff.

Regards
    Al
    Hi Al,

I don't know what's in the iQsmart3 yet, haven't taken one apart. I'm currently in rented accomodation whilst my house purchase goes through, the couple selling it are getting divorced and there has been delay after delay. I have no room to do anything here.

After I move the experiments will start.

I'm sure the scanners can be modified into something a little more interesting, and I have some ideas ranging from conversion to lead screws for enhanced linearity, improving the optics, and even mounting a second x-y system on top to allow oversize scanning/stitching.

Any ideas or information you have will be much appreciated, especially if you can point me to a service manual.

Regards,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by asch View Post
    Have you tried to optimize the 67mm lens in the same manner?
    Yes and no. But I like the idea. It seems (only seems) that the extended lens will touch the mirror. The 89mm can be better.

Hi Steve! I have printed 35mm scans A2 and I am shocked. The size is right for 35mm. No compromise. The grain started to be small and smooth. I live less than two weeks with such a scanner. I have to rethink many things.

Regards
    Al