Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A really nice cable release

A really nice cable release

I am about to get my first 4x5 camera and it is going to be a beautiful Chamonix C45F-2.
    So far I only shot 35mm and medium format and used the cheapest prehistoric cable release from the flew market for this.
    I know the ones I‘ve got may be good enough but because I am going 4x5 and the Chamonix is such a nice camera, I would like to do myself a favor and also get a really nice cable release for it.
    Can you suggest a beautiful and decent cable release? What properties should a good cable release have when we‘re talking 4x5?
    I know I may be overthinking it but it feels just wrong to use the 1€ releases with a 1500€ camera.

Photographer

Re: A really nice cable release

I recommend Nikon AR-3 cable releases. Well made and not expensive. You can find them on Ebay. Get two; cable releases are easy to lose and can be broken.

Edit: Just looked the AR-3 up on Ebay and found them more expensive than when I last bought. Still a good cable release.
    Keith Pitman

Minolta SR-T Cables releases are also good. Also well made and not expensive. Prontors are good too.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I picked up one of these last month at a local camera store for $20 in like new condition: https://kaiserfotous.com/20-professi...ase-with-lock/ It works on all of my lenses including Ilex and Alphas #5's which require a long throw. Best manual cable release I have owned to date.

Thomas

Buy two.

Most cable releases are ok, but the bad or broken ones really stand out... I hate the ones with the locking screws, prefer the self locking ones...

As mentioned, the Japanese camera OEM cables tend to be very good... Some fancy high-end cables I have had little to like about them, so I avoid them...

But cables are usually fairly cheap, so one you don't like can end up in the bottom of the kit in case of loss of your loved one...

Steve K

I have two inexpensive ("cheap") cable releases (one went into 'backordered' status the instant I clicked "buy"), neither of which is particularly fancy. Both have the "twist" lock around the base of the plunger-- so I have to remember to test the cable release, and make sure the lock is (dis)engaged. One of them has a brightly colored handle to make it more obvious should it be left lying on the ground. The other is black on black on black.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I was advised to get a long one, and I'm glad I did. Everything in large format is on a bigger scale, so having a cable release that you can operate from the back of the camera is useful. Mine is 18", came s/h from ebay, and was sold as a 'vintage' cable release. I was lucky - got it for £2.50 and it is in excellent condition, very smooth, and has a lock-and-release disk around the plunger end.
    And, yes, I have left it up the hills overnight, and found it again the next morning. Maybe I need a second one.

Get one with the twisting lock rather than a thumb screw lock that protrudes, at least 2feet in length. Before you take it out in the field wrap a thin layer of red or orange electrical or duct tape on both ends of the tubing to make it easy to find if you drop it. Check the thumb rest to see if it comes unscrewed easily. If it does, put some loctite or super glue on the threads then screw it back on. If you shoot in or around water frequently, get one of those small floating foam key chains and attach to it when near water. One for your Loupe too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography