Thread: Stand processing Kodak Technical Pan and FP4+

Stand processing Kodak Technical Pan and FP4+

I have some tech pan that expired in 1990 and had a go at stand developing it last night.

Details are iso50 metering, no filter, Tech Pan 4415
    Dev: HC110 1+120 @20c
    60mins stand, 30s agitate at 0mins, 10s at 30mins.
    Stop and Fix as usual (Ilfostop and rapid fixer, 0:30 and 6:30)
    Scanned on Epson V850 at very high res.

I'm wondering what people think of the top right hand corner? There is vignetting with the lens (heavy rise), but the dark halo around the tree was something I thoguht I'd ask about... I suppose this is a result of the development? Overall, I tried stand processing to increase the scale of greys in this very contrasty film and I think that was achieved. It does have a slightly "greasy" look to it... but the grain is (to my eye) totally non-existent, even at full res on a 6800dpi scan.
    For what its worth, this halo effect was not evident when i developed the same film in my usual 1:3 ID-11 for 20mins development.

Lumpy old trunk
    by J P, on Flickr

Also processed in the same tank, here is some FP4+. Again , vignetting at the top, and what I'd like to ask about here is the "halo" around the tree, but this time sort of a long way off the tree. I'm not sure here is its the scanner/software struggling with the gentle gradient of the sky? Or is this something that people see with stand development, too?

Dead tree behind the Pinnacle
    by J P, on Flickr

Any feedback would be great! My 1:120 recipe for HC-110 was a result of a very limited google search on ratios.
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Re: Stand processing Kodak Technical Pan and FP4+

In general, stand-types of processing are not good ideas when it comes to development uniformity for a variety of reasons. It looks like there is some of that going on, but it is difficult to say with certainty because it is possible there might also be some scanning artifacts at work in these examples. I’m not a scanning expert so I don’t know for for sure.

Are these large format negatives? If so what was the orientation (horizontal/vertical) during development? I’m assuming this was done in some sort of light tight tank/tray?

It’s a shame because I think the first image is very nice.