Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LF hikers, do you remove plastic tree ribbons?

Re: LF hikers, do you remove plastic tree ribbons?

I rarely have cause to flag much here in the Southern wilds, but when I do I always write

GK Chesterton Wuz here

on the tape with black Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have wandered wandered far and wide in just about most vegetation and landscape types. Awareness is what is needed. Depend on one's phone instead of taking the time and attention to be fully aware is foolish. Batteries go dead, device dropped, two people get separated with only one device, and such...and people get lost.

But I am there to experience the place -- taking photographs is the result of that experience. Knowing where I am, being aware of my surroundings is part of my image-making. I try not to leave footprints, but will leave a couple if I feel they might help in a confusing situation.

Geocaching...if there was ever a reason to carry a sniper-rifle...
    I think it's great that you're so experienced. But not everyone is Daniel Boone. A lot of people don't have a chance to get out in the woods that often. Some people have a better sense of direction. Weather conditions change. Using different methods to assure your survival is not a game. And even experienced people have gotten lost.

Regarding geocaching, I think public woods belong to everyone not just photographers or hikers. It's not a private preserve. I've found most geocachers are not what you think. They have a motto: "Cache in, trash out." Many have picked up garbage left by hikers and photographers on their way into and out of finding caches as a helpful service. Of course, there are slob cachers just as there are slob photographers who don't respect the environment and leave trash. But I believe that's a minority. Most forward thinking managers of woods like and want geocaching (except the National Parks). Its an opportunity to open the woods up to millions of people who would otherwise never go into them. I hid a cache nearby here in a state park in New Jersey at the Monmouth Battleground, where Gen Washington fought the British in a major battle. I applied for and got a free license from the park manager to place the cache.

Here's the geocache mentioned above. It's removed now because you're only allowed to leave it for three years during which time 31 people or groups visited. Notice the NJ Parks and Forestry approval license.
    https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/...e-cd2279d75f5d

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    The last time I was [in Joshua Tree] hiking, I encountered a team with cadaver dogs looking for a lost jogger, who had left for a run some months ago and had just never come back. He likely became disoriented and simply perished from thirst before he could find his way back.
    One mourns this runner’s fate in Joshua Tree, and part of me wishes he had pre-scouted his path, marked it with ribbons, and later enjoyed the run, returning without getting lost and killed.

But one remains curious: How do off-trail runners remove their ribbons? As they return, do they snatch them off branches? Or maybe they run outbound, then walk inbound, carefully collecting ribbons? Perhaps they run a circular path first, then walk the same path again, collecting the trash?

Any off-trail runners here? ;^)

I have wandered far and wide in just about most vegetation and landscape types. Awareness is what is needed. …Knowing where I am, being aware of my surroundings is part of my image-making.
    I think Vaughn’s "awareness" is a key solution to this thread. Awareness, that is, in many forms: Awareness when you need ribbons, and when you don’t. Awareness that forgotten ribbons pollute the woods with plastic, and kill others’ future enjoyment. Awareness that even the best of hikers, finding a ribbon, will keep it in place (not remove it) in consideration of someone who might be needing it later – when the reality might be (and probably is) that it’s a left-over piece of trash from weeks, months, years ago, compounding this whole problem.

I could go on, but CreationBear’s remark about G.K. Chesterton keeps distracting me…

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I rarely have cause to flag much here in the Southern wilds, but when I do I always write GK Chesterton Wuz here on the tape with black Sharpie.
    I’m embarrassed to admit this flies over my head. And I even have advanced degrees in literature! Can someone clue me in? Meantime, I’ll only add that if G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936) once left a ribbon in the woods, its discovery by my great-great grandchildren shouldn’t surprise them since plastic endures – until they remember that plastics weren’t a convenient commodity back then!

Drew Wiley

Lost leading the lost. I learned a long time ago not to trust other people's markers. Nor have I ever left my own.

Is that my ribbon or someone else's? Am I following my friend's flagging or someone else's?. It got windy, where is my flag? Why is that deer walking around with flagging in its mouth?

No...flagging is a bad idea all the way around for recreational use. One does not gain skills if one does not learn them and use them. Depending on flagging instead of awareness is laziness -- and most likely it will be flagging users that will have to be searched for and rescued or recovered when they miss a flag and have no idea where they are. I am more than happy to help with the lessons.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Hit a Golf Ball in Yellowstone Park? Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Jake Adams set out to tee off in each of the 50 states. After his exploits in Wyoming, he is under investigation

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hit-a-g...el-11623001871
    Tin Can

Ah, a serial litterer! Could not read the whole story to see if he got any sponcership/advertising income from his 'project', which would cause more problems for him.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Lost leading the lost.
    If you're explaining the Chesterton, thank you – hilarious!

Why is that deer walking around with flagging in its mouth?
    But this wins best image of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    GK Chesterton Wuz here
    Always amazing what one does not know! Sounds like an interesting character..."The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected."