Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuji GX 680 180mm f/3.2 in Seiko Shutter for 4x5 Experience

Re: Fuji GX 680 180mm f/3.2 in Seiko Shutter for 4x5 Experience

It’s hard to capture the screen on mine, very glary so I don’t know if this would help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C3CEFA0-3305-49DD-B53F-9E5F7E6FA655.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	216511

Quote Originally Posted by roetronxoay View Post
    It’s hard to capture the screen on mine, very glary so I don’t know if this would help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C3CEFA0-3305-49DD-B53F-9E5F7E6FA655.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	216511
    Thanks. I can tell that looks substantially better than what I had. Appreciate it.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Late reply, apologies, from an innocent bystander: The elements look very far apart in that remount. - Have those elements merely been remounted via step-up rings to a Copal-0 or -1 sized shutter? 180/3.2 = 56mm, so, not even a Copal 3 (max opening 45mm) would preserve that aperture..... No idea what Fuji does with it originally, I've never been near a GX680, and my reasoning may be off. But: Overall height of the f/5.6 version of that lens is apparently 104mm, and for the f/3.2 version its 105mm respectively....So, if yours isn't in that ball park....There's your problem. It seems to me you had a both inept and fraudulent seller. Let us know how you got on with that saga.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

This is my first post to the site, I have been thinking of finding a inexpensive gx680 taking it apart use the front standard somehow attach to your 4x5 front standard and reassemble the electronics and buttons into a small box which also has the electronic remote shutter attach to it, that way we could use the lenses from the gx680 system, the 180m f/3.2 especially for portraits with 1/400 of a second is faster than copal 3.
    from what I have observed a lot of the photographer from this site seems they are electronics or electrical engineer, this should not be too difficult and it is a lot cheaper than Xenotar 150mm F2.8. just a thought.

Interesting project, John. I have one of the 180- f/3.2s. That would be a pretty complicated endeavor, though.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

One issue with adapters, is that they add extension. So turns it into a macro lens. I discovered that the Seiko LS23 Shutter (eg: Fuji WS 250mm 6.7, I buy with bad glass), or even busting out the shutter from a broken RB67 lens, will allow you to screw the front and rear cells directly in. Actually I've done this with a full range of GX680 lenses, still looking for a broken 115mm F3.2 to finish my set.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

The Fuji GX680 Lens Set, from left 125mm F5.6 GX680, 210mm F5.6 GX680, and right the 250mm F5.6 GX680. All neatly shuttered Seiko LS23 Shutters from Fujinon WS lenses. lensboards 3D printed from the Guy in Italy, light seals added by me using Rotary Cutter to cut strips. Works good Minolta SRT Cable Releases (Good Ones!) 82mm Yellow Filters, Rubber Lenshood. Lens on left not finished, needs JB Welded Ring to board, back cell lip removed by me with grinder (to back focus on Makiflex) now needs brush painted with Krylon. Also I will Krylon the back of the lens board to make sure no leaks.

Getting There Set of GX680 Lenses Seiko Shutters by Nokton48, on Flickr

Getting there with my set of Fuji GX680 lenses, with Seiko #2 Shutters added. Mounted on PLaubel Peco Junior boards and Minolta SRT cable releases, Yellow Filters on each, and Hoods too. From the left front, the 50mm F5.6, then the 65mm F5.6, then the 80mm F5.6. On the far right front, the 100mm F4. Back Row, from the left, the 125mm F3.2, then the 150mm F5.6. Next the 180mm F3.2, and on the far right, the 210mm F5.6 Also adding the 250mm F5.6, should be tommorrow, got another Seiko Shutter coming. The 50mm front view reminds me of the HAL9000 fisheye in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It looks about the same LOL.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This all fits in the small Zone VI White Bag, looks like a picnic cooler. Restored Plaubel Peco Junior body with Jim Galvin Glenn Evans Graflex Roll Back modded to Peco Junior. Made to nicely hold Singer Graflex 120/220 Roll Backs. Two RH8 2.25x3.25, two RH10 6x7cm, one 220 RH20. Three Fujinon GX680 lenses modded to Plaubel Junior Boards. From the left, the 125mm F5.6 GX680, then the 50mm F5.6 GX680, then on the right, the 180mm F5.6 GX680. All three lenses work perfectly with the standard length Plaubel Peco Jr Rail. Film loaded is Ilford PanF+, Ilford Delta 100, Shanghai 220 EI 100, Maco ORT25, Ilford FP4+, Ilford HP5+. So this I'll be taking out this spring, on an olde Star-D tripod. The tripod has a shoulder strap for traveling, and the bag is HEAVY but has everything I need plus room for odds and ends. Apertures on the shutters fully correctly marked, and verified through direct measurement of the lens front irises. All now perfect ready for fully testing. Eight 120 test rolls have yielded perfect frames, some outside tests and some studio stuff. Will post photos soon. These lenses are sharp enough for digital medium format. Hmmmmmm

Fuji GX680 50mm f5.6 Seiko Shutter by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Plaubel Junior restored with New to me 50mm F5.6 Fuji GX680 lens, purchased broken, at a good discount, from Adorama in NYC. They also included the Gelatin Filter Holder/50mm Hood, it's worth some Dollars so a great deal. The view through the 50mm is AMAZING. Can't wait to shoot some test 6.5x9cm Makina Back Film. EVentually I will buy some type of Digital Medium Format Back. The Peco Junior has a Leica-like smoothness and feel. Plaubel advertised as "The Rolls Royce of Cameras" in the day. Works smoothly and tightly in a Leica-type of way. Also looked through my 4x5" Sinar Normas with this lens. It's amazingly sharp-looking and nice and contrasty view. This will get some use now, rather than becoming an interesting broken ornament. BTW I should mention that I bought the camera for 70 Bucks from Adorama. Another great price. And it included a lens board with a #0 hole
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 7-Apr-2024 at 09:09.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

One day if I have chance to get around of doing it I would post the whole Process, I really think this is the solution to bypass finding the right shutter for all those wonderful Fuji lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by John Liang View Post
    I really think this is the solution to bypass finding the right shutter for all those wonderful Fuji lenses.
    What would be wrong with using the shutter they are in? I know they are electronically controlled shutters but running those looks not that hard to me (ok, I'm an electronics engineer). And we would not have to rob working lenses of their shutters.

I have one of those lenses, but with a defective shutter. Maybe I'd have to buy one with a working shutter and see what can be done.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Well, it would be non-trivial for someone who's not an electrical devices expert. Ok, maybe it just wouldn't be trivial for me.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

What do you do when components go POOF? Most of mine were purchased DOA so it does happen

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.p...-format.72331/

Here's another Guy over on GetDPI who has adapted GX680 to Seikos
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain