Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuji GX 680 180mm f/3.2 in Seiko Shutter for 4x5 Experience

Re: Fuji GX 680 180mm f/3.2 in Seiko Shutter for 4x5 Experience

Thanks, Daniel!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Attachment 216406

DSC05746 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Comparing these two photos, his front group looks forward-spaced compared to mine. Perhaps he did not remove all the bits holding the front group together?? It's kind of difficult to tell in your photo. Another possibility, is that it is not the correct version Seiko shutter, perhaps the shutter is a different thickness. The only ones I found that worked, were the shutters for the f5.6 and also the F6.7 "WS" series of Fuji lenses. Lucking out I found a few cheaply in Japan, with horrible looking cells, which I chucked into the trash.

BTW taking this apart was a lot of fun but involved some risk which I was willing to take. If I remember correctly Fuji glued some of the rings and stripping it down completely was really quite a challenge. My mini bandsaw got a workout removing all that boxy plastic electro stuff
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Jun-2021 at 07:36.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

GX680 Completed 180mm 125mm F3.2 Makiflex by Nokton48, on Flickr

I also hacked the 125mm F3.2 GX680 lens to Makiflex among others. These are some hot 90's era glass! Both acutely sharp if you like that

Maybe someday I will hack the 115mm F3.2 and I will have the F3.2 triad in Makiflex
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Jun-2021 at 08:22.

― Mark Twain

Last year, I had occasion to purchase an EBay listed adapter that enables one to use Mamiya RB67 lenses on a large format camera. It's pretty clever. One can cock the shutter using the adapter, and then if desired, the adapter can also trip the shutter. Or, one can use a separate shutter release cable that attaches to the lens itself.

The lensboards on my 4x5 are nearly 7" on a side. So, I will mount the adapter onto a deep recessed lensboard. Some RB67 lenses can be a little heavy. The recessed lensboard will help balance the RB67 lenses before and after the standard. It would be neat to try either the soft focus lens or the 140mm macro lens with medium format film, or with a digital back that I have.

Surprisingly, the Mamiya website has a datasheet that suggests that some RB67 lenses cover 4x5.

The RB67 Seiko shutters are also properly spaced and work GOOD with the hacked GX680 cells. Their shutter spacing is correct and for a while I was buying broken 90mm RB lenses just to gut the shutters for the GX680 lenses. I kept the iris mechs intact but removed the shutter blades, as the Makiflex is focal plane.

― Mark Twain

mine looks very sharp on the groundglass even though I've yet to shoot any sheet with it. For that price you can have mine with guarantee for sharpness

I don't have any digitalized shots, but I happily use my 180mm f/3.2 on my Super Graphic.

Any lens that GX680 Fujifilm lists as having full movements on their 680 cameras should cover 4x5 straight on without movements.

Update for anyone interested. I returned the lens and it was delivered today. Now the guy is saying that I messed it up and is making me open up a dispute with eBay without refunding me. I suggest that he is butthurt because I came at him pretty hard in my messages calling him out and calling him a scam artist for trying to sell a faulty lens. I may have said it looked like a $2 coke bottle which is actually probably better than it actually is. Regardless just stay far away from this sample.

Quote Originally Posted by roetronxoay View Post
    mine looks very sharp on the groundglass even though I've yet to shoot any sheet with it. For that price you can have mine with guarantee for sharpness
    Do you have a photo of your ground glass? I may need to use it to settle my dispute with eBay. Lmao

I have that adapter and a few RB

I put it on a Sinar board

I need to try again and harder

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Last year, I had occasion to purchase an EBay listed adapter that enables one to use Mamiya RB67 lenses on a large format camera. It's pretty clever. One can cock the shutter using the adapter, and then if desired, the adapter can also trip the shutter. Or, one can use a separate shutter release cable that attaches to the lens itself.

The lensboards on my 4x5 are nearly 7" on a side. So, I will mount the adapter onto a deep recessed lensboard. Some RB67 lenses can be a little heavy. The recessed lensboard will help balance the RB67 lenses before and after the standard. It would be neat to try either the soft focus lens or the 140mm macro lens with medium format film, or with a digital back that I have.

Surprisingly, the Mamiya website has a datasheet that suggests that some RB67 lenses cover 4x5.
    Tin Can