Views:	160 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	216406
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	939F337F-70AA-479F-89EB-5455E098F24C.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	216405

I’ve seen a couple of people on this forum talk about the GX680 lenses being mounted for 4x5. So I decided to buy one that was on eBay from a guy in the UK. He referenced me images of the 180mm f/3.2 on the 680 and I thought it would be spectacular on 4x5. Plus some people have said it works great as well on here.

He didn’t have any sample images for it because his negatives were stored away. First red flag. But regardless I trusted him.

Fast forward and I get the lens. It’s completely unusable wide open. I couldn’t even focus on anything as the center was basically transparent. It covered the whole film plane but as you can see the image was horrible.

I asked to return it and was obviously upset and he proceeds to tell me that the lens suited his “dreamy and ethereal” taste. And was on par with the Aero Ektar in sharpness. And said I wouldn’t be able to see for sure until I shot film with it. I don’t think it’s magically going to be in focus when I waste film on it.

I sent it back and just wanted to share my experience with it just in case anyone else wants to purchase this lens. I think it’s obviously mounted wrong and after talking with countless other LF photographers they agree as well. But if you like what you see above then by all means buy it for $700.

Re: Fuji GX 680 180mm f/3.2 in Seiko Shutter for 4x5 Experience

Sorry to hear about this. This is my favorite lens for my GX680 system, and something is obviously wrong with how the lens is mounted. I would not describe the OEM lens as "dreamy and ethereal".
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

DSC05746 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have the GX680 180mm F3.2 and I transplanted the cells into a Seiko Fuji WS shutter. It's one of my sharpest lenses on my 9x9cm Plaubel Makiflexes. So it is doable. I suspect the cell spacing on yours is way off specs.

Shades 45 degree High Contrast Pol Test 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a quick test of my new Sinar Norma Copy Stand. Plaubel Makiflex Automatic 9x9cm SLR with hacked Fuji GX680 180mm F3.2. 6x6cm Plaubel Makina film 120 back #4. High contrast polarized lighting. Two Broncolor Impact 21 200 watt second strobes, with polarizing gels adjusted fully. 103mm Sinar Norma glass polarizing disc under the lens, also fully adjusted. Strobes balanced with Broncolor FM2 Strobe Meter, balanced to F/32 1/2 both sides illuminating. The GX680 lens is one of my sharpest for sure. Foba 200 B&W 120 film exposed at EI 100. Developed in ADOX BORAX MQ straight replenished D76 type. This exposure was one pop at F8. Also made exposures at F11 and F5.6, but this is the ONE. 8x8 inch print on 8x10 Aristo #2 RC developed in Multigrade developer. This setup is good for photographing anything where you want this type of contrasty polarized lighting with 90 degree shadows.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Jun-2021 at 07:03.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    DSC05746 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have the GX680 180mm F3.2 and I transplanted the cells into a Seiko Fuji WS shutter. It's one of my sharpest lenses on my 9x9cm Plaubel Makiflexes. So it is doable. I suspect the cell spacing on yours is way off specs.

Shades 45 degree High Contrast Pol Test 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Yeah I was bummed for sure. Definitely not mounted correctly and super annoying that the guy thinks he did it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. This is my favorite lens for my GX680 system, and something is obviously wrong with how the lens is mounted. I would not describe the OEM lens as "dreamy and ethereal".
    Yeah he only said that after I supplied the photo of the ground glass and quickly lost recollection of sending me reference photos of the lens on a 680 system as samples before I bought it.

Maki Std Copy Test Shades 180mm F3.2 GX680 by Nokton48, on Flickr

From Flikr:

Here I have attached the Makiflex Standard camera. to my Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Clamp/Head Mechanism. Attached the 180mm F3.2 Fuji GX680. Shooting my "shades" as a 3D test, using a Plaubel Makina 6x6 120 back, loaded with FOMA 200 rated at 100. Polarized lighting both sides, 200WS each, and the 103mm Sinar Norma Polarizing Filter Holder fits tightly on the front lenshood on the 180 GX680 lens. Just like it was made for it! WOW this lens has some resolution, now.... Quite acute in a good way. I have wanted to try this setup for a while. As I think I have mentioned before, the Makiflex family has a Plaubel patented shutter braking mechanism, absolutely granite boulder solid and vibration free. Plaubel made a big deal about this when the introduced the camera. Unlike some other big SLR's, no vibes at all, so perfect, although somewhat moot as I am using syched strobe. This is tight 6x6 crop of the clip-on sunglasses. Will try to develop ASAP. Also I can use all kinds of sheet film in this. Foma 200 bracked at f16, f11, f8 and f5.6 as a start. Development will prolly be in Pyro PMK+

These cameras also take 9x12cm/4x5 sheet film.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Maki Std Copy Test Shades 180mm F3.2 GX680 by Nokton48, on Flickr

From Flikr:

Here I have attached the Makiflex Standard camera. to my Sinar Norma Copy Stand/Clamp/Head Mechanism. Attached the 180mm F3.2 Fuji GX680. Shooting my "shades" as a 3D test, using a Plaubel Makina 6x6 120 back, loaded with FOMA 200 rated at 100. Polarized lighting both sides, 200WS each, and the 103mm Sinar Norma Polarizing Filter Holder fits tightly on the front lenshood on the 180 GX680 lens. Just like it was made for it! WOW this lens has some resolution, now.... Quite acute in a good way. I have wanted to try this setup for a while. As I think I have mentioned before, the Makiflex family has a Plaubel patented shutter braking mechanism, absolutely granite boulder solid and vibration free. Plaubel made a big deal about this when the introduced the camera. Unlike some other big SLR's, no vibes at all, so perfect, although somewhat mute as I am using strobe. This is tight 6x6 crop of the clip-on sunglasses. Will try to develop ASAP. Also I can use all kinds of sheet film in this.
    Foma 200 bracked at f16, f11, f8 and f5.6 as a start. Development will prolly be in Pyro PMK+
    Do you have any examples wide open? Would love to see what it was actually supposed to look like. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by BryanBirks View Post
    Do you have any examples wide open? Would love to see what it was actually supposed to look like. Haha
    Examples here on flikr:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...20180mm%20f3.2

I bought this lens with the idea of using it for beauty and fashion headshots. A portrait photographer friend HATES his; It's too painfully sharp for some of his clients

Problem I see using this lens, is that depth of focus is mighty -thin- at F3.2. I've had incorrect comments made on other forums, about some my photos taken with uber speed lenses being out of focus! Extremely paper thin depth of field is NOT the same thing as something being completely out of focus :/ Especially when those photos get repeatedly faved by others :/

― Mark Twain

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Beautiful Peter! Love 'em

― Mark Twain