Thread: Tripod for Wista metal field camera

Tripod for Wista metal field camera

Hello,

I'm looking for a tripod for my Wista 45VX + Manfrotto 405 head, totaling 4kg (8.8lb) of load.
    I have the opportunity to buy a used Gitzo G1257 for 200eur, but I'm also looking into the new Manfrotto 055 carbon series for 370eur.

Any suggestions?

Re: Tripod for Wista metal field camera

Tripod choice, IMO, boils down to weight, stability, and cost. Carbon fiber cost more than aluminum, heavier tripods are more stable than lighter ones, etc. How much do you want to carry? What's your budget? What conditions do you anticipate photographing in? What flexibility in the tripod do you anticipate needing? Answer these questions and I think you'll be able to select a good tripod for you.

I believe it was an earlier equivalent of the G1257 or the G1257 itself that I used for years. It is probably adequate for your use at least 95% time. I tried to use it on a very windy day with a long telephoto lens and I found it wasn't up to the conditions. I switched to a 3 series Gitzo without a center column and have never had a problem since. The weight difference isn't as much as you might think (if the series 3 doesn't have a center column).

I recently bought a FLM CP30 M4 II. No centre column, 20kg capacity, and surprisingly light (1.45kg) and tall (1.63m): 30mm leg top diameter, 60mm disk, and very stable. I added a Novoflex levelling base & clamp for lightweight backpacking (not FLM's own levelling base - it doesn't rotate). It's not so much the maximum height that I find useful, but the ability to place it on a steep slope with one or two legs at full extension. On level ground I extend the thinnest sections just a bit or not at all.

Buy the tripod(s) you need for 95% of the shots you will take the rest of your life. 4.5 pounds 10x CF taller/stronger vs 3lb CF average height/strength will not make much difference most of the time. Maybe you buy a travel tripod now, and plan for a more robust tall tripod later when you find that it is needed.

- Don't forget the ability to shoot at ground level - how low will you need to go?
    - Max height can be an important consideration to get something different than what everyone is shooting on their phones.
    - Bigger tripods also present some challenges when attaching to your backpack due to the head platform size and 3-leg diameter. Not fittin in the side pocket.
    - Do you ever see yourself shooting even larger formats like 8x10, 11x14, ULF? Wanna buy another tripod and head system then?

FLM CP34-L4 II was the choice for me - perfect compromise of weight, height, features, stability, and cost. Supports my DSLR, 4x5, and 5x12 easily. Rarely use more than 3 sections so get even more stability.

My old manfrotto/bogen 3021 aluminum tripod with its heavy ball head now decorates the corner of my office, because at 9 pounds I no longer want to hike with it. But it served me well for 30+ years.
    The cheap travel pods have all let me down so have found their way to the recycle bin or were given away.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Bill

I recently purchased a Leofoto LN-364C for use with my Wista 45SP. While I'm normally a bit wary of using Chinese products for vital equipment like a tripod, it has so far performed excellently, and is very reasonably priced.

Looks good from here!

That must be brown cork for better grip

I really like using a bowl for leveling

I have the FLM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rolph View Post
    I recently purchased a Leofoto LN-364C for use with my Wista 45SP. While I'm normally a bit wary of using Chinese products for vital equipment like a tripod, it has so far performed excellently, and is very reasonably priced.
    Tin Can