Thread: Rodenstock 300mm Imagon on 8x10?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Rodenstock 300mm Imagon on 8x10?

I have the newer edition of this lens which was factory mounted in a copal 3 shutter and came with 2 disks instead of the 3 of the older models which were mounted in a compound shutter I believe. In the past I've only used this lens for 5x7 format which is supposedly the format it's optimized for. How will it work on the 8x10? Will it cover, will I get "mushy" or "swirly corners," will it deliver the full Imagon look?

Thomas

Re: Rodenstock 300mm Imagon on 8x10?

Here you go. Note, this is the older version in a barrel.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dunno

I have Imagon 250 in Copal and 360 Imagon, I use with Packard OR SINAR Shutter

I prefer Packard in this case
    Tin Can

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I have the newer edition of this lens which was factory mounted in a copal 3 shutter and came with 2 disks instead of the 3 of the older models which were mounted in a compound shutter I believe. In the past I've only used this lens for 5x7 format which is supposedly the format it's optimized for. How will it work on the 8x10? Will it cover, will I get "mushy" or "swirly corners," will it deliver the full Imagon look?

Thomas
    The "Imagon Look" comes from using the h/stop disks with the little apertures open. I always likes using it with the conventional aperture, or wide open. The newer version in the modern Copal shutter has a more restricted aperture than the old Compound shutter, so it won't go quite as wild wide open.

A couple of old portraits with the old-style 300mm Imagon wide open on the 8x10 2D:

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Well here's the negative:

Shot it yesterday and developed it today for alternative printing. This was taken with the little disks open at H7.7 so I shot it at 1/125 second @ f8 as recommended by the meter without the ND filter with the front standard at maximum rise (see below). No mushy or swirly edges and not vignetted. Personally I like the result and wil try printing it as a platinum-toned kallitype this weekend.

Thomas

This is the newer Imagon 300 in Copal with the H disk at 5.6 opening on disk. I photographed this in the Everglades for a magazine shoot that I did, everyone was so excited that I pulled out my 8x10 for some images. They all posed for pictures with me and the camera, funny thing is, they never used any of my film images, just my digitals.

I am not a huge fan of using the disks, I like the look of the barrel wide open better.

I tried to figure out how to post something other than a thumbnail, but I have failed miserably!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fak lane 2.jpg  
    Last edited by John Brady; 4-Jun-2021 at 11:18.

360 Imagon with biggest holes open, 8X10

Look at the pearls

1 Baker, redone by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Excellent example of using the Imagon stranier disc effect to enhance an expressive image.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    360 Imagon with biggest holes open, 8X10

Look at the pearls

1 Baker, redone by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Thank you Bernice!

A good sitter helps

Bob Salomon was very helpful by drilling into my head lighting ratio for Imagon

We had two 20 minute sessions. First was Digi and 11X14, the Digi worked well, we shot 130 images as sitter constantly moved, strobes of course to stop motion

The switch to film was not easy, I shot two 11X14

Second encounter, I asked for still pose, strobes again, Packard Shutter. Concept was Josephine Baker tribute.

Interesting this morning my radio was playing 'Blues Before Dawn' featuring Josephine Baker from 1926

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Excellent example of using the Imagon stranier disc effect to enhance an expressive image.

Bernice
    Tin Can

It's all in the lighting that makes these Sorta-Focus lenses "Sing"..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Bob Salomon was very helpful by drilling into my head lighting ratio for Imagon