Page 77 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Thanks, guys.
    Peter, very smoooooth image. Well done.

Went looking for the plainest scene I could find, and then tried to make it more interesting by processing it differently than I would normally.
    GFX, IR720, TS-E 24mm

Great job on the processing, Ari!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Great stuff, Ari!

Jere a quick test:

Z9, 60mm, RM72, ISO64, F/8, 1 minute.

In starlight mode, the camera autofocused successfully, although it took about 1 second. Not having to cover the eyepiece is a huge relief. Even with a custom white balance, the image is still very red. Maybe I can fix that. Obviously, one has to learn to live with subject motion.

Nice! It will help to create a camera profile. That will eliminate the red cast. You may have to do it in steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Great job on the processing, Ari!
    I concur!

Thanks, guys. Very kind!

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Nice! It will help to create a camera profile. That will eliminate the red cast. You may have to do it in steps.
    Jon, do you mean a custom white balance, or something else? Unfortunately, the Z9 hasn't let me make a custom white balance with the filter on. It must be out of range. Adjusting the WB manually in both axis gets a less red result, but not a really good one. White balancing in LR does a better job. This isn't a big deal, as I can see the image in the finder well enough even if it's tinted red.

Oh, I know. I could always switch to monochrome. That would get rid of the red cast. I don't really care about seeing the scene in color.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I think Jon meant creating a profile for your IR camera, which isn't difficult. Once done, the profile can be applied in LR or ACR, then you make adjustments and channel swap (if desired).
    Here are instructions: https://robertreiser.photography/pro...-in-lightroom/
    You need to download DNG Profile Editor first.
    Then with the filter on, take a piece of white paper outside in the sun, and use that as your custom WB.

Thanks, Ari. If I understand rightly, that's for getting a color image in LR, right? Since I only do BW photos with IR, I don't think that'd help me. What I'd like is a better view through the viewfinder while I'm photographing. A custom white balance in the camera helps, but it could be better. Switching the picture control to Monochrome removes any cast in the pictures taken, but not the view in the finder before and while a picture is taken. It's a firmware issue. When I click on the I menu, which just brings up an on-screen menu on the camera, and I click 'monochrome,' the image through the finder (and rear screen) turns black and white, but only while the I menu is active, and the menu takes up 1/3 of the screen. As soon as I dismiss the menu, the image through the finder goes back to color, even though the images taken appear as BW using the image review on the camera.

Peter, Ari is correct. And the link he gives is the one I used to create my Adobe D810 camera profile. For in-camera viewing purposes, you can set your 'picture control' to monochrome. But, make sure you output a RAW image file. Then, instead of using the default Adobe camera profile, load the Z9 camera profile you made following the instructions that are in the link Ari gave you. That should eliminate the red cast. You can then set a white balance in ACR. Finally, load into Photoshop and do your channel swap and B&W conversion if that is what you want to end up with.