Page 52 of 129 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

What Is Infrared Photography? A Beginner's Guide

https://www.makeuseof.com/infrared-p...ginners-guide/
    Tin Can

Just got my A7r cameras back from Isaac Szabo, one converted 720nm the other to 830nm.
    I've been playing with the 720nm more, the novelty of color IR hasn't worn off yet.
    Went to my usual test area and had some good IR weather.
    But I feel like the color is...what? Garish? Or I just don't know what I'm doing in processing these, it's all new to me.

Well Ari, I like what you have done here better than my attempts! Can you tell me how you processed this image? If you used Photoshop, it looks like you switched the red and blue channels with a channel mixer layer? My blue sky does not look as nice as yours, and the clouds always have a color cast. Your clouds are nice and white! Maybe you could describe your workflow?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    What Is Infrared Photography? A Beginner's Guide

https://www.makeuseof.com/infrared-p...ginners-guide/
    From the guide.

"Infrared light is slower than even the slowest red light visible to us. This makes it totally imperceptible to us visually, but that doesn't make it any less important."

In other words, we can not see in IR. So the only color that can be associated with IR is based on what the sensor can record, and some type of digital processing. So in terms of color it is the wild, wild west out there.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Well Ari, I like what you have done here better than my attempts! Can you tell me how you processed this image? If you used Photoshop, it looks like you switched the red and blue channels with a channel mixer layer? My blue sky does not look as nice as yours, and the clouds always have a color cast. Your clouds are nice and white! Maybe you could describe your workflow?

Thanks!
    Thanks, Jon.
    This was done entirely in PS, which isn't my preferred way of processing IR, but up until now, I've only shot B&W.
    I mostly followed what this guy describes: https://youtu.be/WUtTDvESgnc

While I like the level of control this method affords, PS is slower and a more cumbersome method than LR. For me, at least.
    I shot this at ISO 100, with +1/3 stop added in-camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, Jon.
    This was done entirely in PS, which isn't my preferred way of processing IR, but up until now, I've only shot B&W.
    I mostly followed what this guy describes: https://youtu.be/WUtTDvESgnc

While I like the level of control this method affords, PS is slower and a more cumbersome method than LR. For me, at least.
    I shot this at ISO 100, with +1/3 stop added in-camera.
    Okay, I think you gave me a link to that before. I used Viveza 2 for my attempts. What version do you have? The one from DXO? My version is the older one that was originally free. Your image looks so much smoother than what I came up with. I'm thinking you have the purchased version of the Nik Collection. I know they have made improvements to the technology. My attempts look blotchy compared to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Okay, I think you gave me a link to that before. I used Viveza 2 for my attempts. What version do you have? The one from DXO? My version is the older one that was originally free. Your image looks so much smoother than what I came up with. I'm thinking you have the purchased version of the Nik Collection. I know they have made improvements to the technology. My attempts look blotchy compared to yours.
    I don't think yours look blotchy, Jon. Are you working in 8-bit or 16-bit?
    It's hard to get the sky to look right, and not introduce artefacts and yes, blotchiness. The sky in my photo looks very purple to me now.
    Skies usually start off looking very cyan or a bit aqua after the channel swap, and the difficulty lies in getting the blue to look appropriate to the rest of the photo.
    As Sandy says, there are no benchmarks or references for color, so it's mostly done to taste.
    I'm also quite color-blind, so I tend to overdo things, but following most steps in the video should get you pretty close.
    And I got the Nik Collection free when Google was in charge. It's still available somewhere online if you look long enough. I use it with CC2017 and LR Classic 9.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I don't think yours look blotchy, Jon. Are you working in 8-bit or 16-bit?
    It's hard to get the sky to look right, and not introduce artefacts and yes, blotchiness. The sky in my photo looks very purple to me now.
    Skies usually start off looking very cyan or a bit aqua after the channel swap, and the difficulty lies in getting the blue to look appropriate to the rest of the photo.
    As Sandy says, there are no benchmarks or references for color, so it's mostly done to taste.
    I'm also quite color-blind, so I tend to overdo things, but following most steps in the video should get you pretty close.
    And I got the Nik Collection free when Google was in charge. It's still available somewhere online if you look long enough. I use it with CC2017 and LR Classic 9.3.
    For being color-blind you did extremely well! DXO had the Nik Collection 1/3rd off. I just updated. I don't know if it will help me, but I could not resist. We will see. Now, all it takes is a lot of time and practice! I'm now running the latest Creative Cloud Photoshop products as well.

Thanks, Jon.
    I find color IR extremely frustrating, in part because when I follow someone else's settings, theirs looks great after a couple clicks of the mouse, and mine looks like garbage.
    I tried this as well: https://photographylife.com/infrared...y-720nm-filter
    My photo looked nothing like his, not even close.

Ari, if you're color blind, learning to 'read the numbers' ala Dan Margulis might help. Otherwise, I'd do the channel swaps for the major changes, and then I'd try a hue/sat layer. Click with the hand sampler tool, adjust hue. Once that's good. Adjust saturation of that color.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know