Page 44 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Jon, very nice B&W image.
    I haven't used CS5 in a very long time, but I think you can convert RAW files to DMG files with a free DMG converter app.
    Then you should be able to open the DMG in CS5 RAW.
    I have and use Photoshop CC. I can use that to open the RAW files from my Nikon D810. So, I did my initial processing of the image in CC, then loaded the PSD file into CS5. The reason for that, is that I wanted to use the Nik Collection on the image. That plugin works in CS5. For some reason, CC striped the free version of Nik Collection from CC during the last upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I have and use Photoshop CC. I can use that to open the RAW files from my Nikon D810. So, I did my initial processing of the image in CC, then loaded the PSD file into CS5. The reason for that, is that I wanted to use the Nik Collection on the image. That plugin works in CS5. For some reason, CC striped the free version of Nik Collection from CC during the last upgrade.
    Personally, I hate being nickle-and-dime'd with subscriptions, hence am still using my bought-and-paid for CS6 version of Photoshop to post-process my files.

Because I am a photographer and not a graphic artist, I only need and use the basic, photo-oriented tools to post-process my files and IMO, CS6 is every bit as good as CC when it's used this way.

Before I can open my files in Photoshop, though, I have to convert them from raw to 16-bit .tif files, which I do using RawTherapee. It's a free program that's updated and improved regularly, and IMO, it's a better, more versatile piece of software for this purpose than Adobe's Bridge.

This does add an additional step to my workflow, but despite the fact I median-blend between 9 and 15 files for each photo I process, I'm not a prolific shooter, so this isn't an issue for me ... YMMV!
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

I resisted going to CC until I bought the D810. It was the fastest way to start processing the RAW files. Coming from CS5, I was amazed at the improvements in CC. Things just seem to work so much easier. It is faster to get to the end result. Everything just looks better. Anyway, I swallowed the Kool-Aid. That monthly fee will not break the bank.

This piece allows to open RAW files generated by newer cameras in any PS CS version: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/u...converter.html
    Of course, the older the PS version the less feature-reach Raw processor of PS.

OK, I really like YOUR Digi IR!

What conversion and company do you guys recomend for Nikon Z fc conversion?

Please discuss on thread

I have studied
    Tin Can

This camera is a Sony a6300, converted to 830nm by Isaac Szabo. Highly recommended.
    I'm selling this camera soon because I'm moving up to full frame IR.
    Isaac will next convert two Sony A7r cameras for me, one to 830nm, the other to 550nm.
    Processing is a yuuuuge factor in this, get your Lightroom and Photoshop up to date if you plan on using recent glass (as I do).

@Ari
    I like the two IR images, I like the clouds on the first one and the light and shadow on the second one.

Why two cameras? I have one A7R converted to 720nm and use external 850nm filter on special scenes. The only limitation could be a bulky lens like Canon 17mm TS-E.

with external 850nm filter on the 720nm Sony A7R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2019_06_09_153236.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	219276

regards
    Dierk

Thank you, Dierk.
    I get asked that on the FB threads.
    I'd rather carry two cameras instead of filters. Shooting the extra camera is less fiddly and more immediate than finding, adding and removing a filter.
    Coming from 8x10, I appreciate the quickness and portability of shooting digital IR. Carrying and using different filters is too much like 8x10.
    Add to that a second lens with a different thread size, then you have to get adapters and such.
    I guess I'm enjoying the convenience of digital shooting
    Anyway, the Sony A7r is small and light, and the Tamron lens weighs about 1/2 of that. Having two is hardly a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm selling this camera soon because I'm moving up to full frame IR.
    Isaac will next convert two Sony A7r cameras for me, one to 830nm, the other to 550nm.
    Well, that escalated quickly ... lol.

All joking aside, I'm occasionally tempted to do the same because having identical cameras for IR and visible light photography would eliminate the need to swap camera mounts on my FrankenKamera VII as well as the need to accommodate the APS-C format's crop factor when it comes to choosing lenses.

But the full-spectrum modified Samsung NX500 I'm using for my IR photography does a pretty good job overall, is already paid for, as well as slightly smaller and significantly lighter than an A7R, and its 28 MP files aren't that much smaller than the A7R's 36 MP files, either.

In fact, a compelling argument could be made that I'm better off assembling a second FK VII using leftover parts and dedicating that to IR-only photography with my NX500 than I am buying a second A7R body, converting it to IR-only use, and continuing to swap between it and the NX500 using my existing FK VII!

Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, keep up the good work! I especially like the last the last few photos you've posted. 8^)
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/