Page 33 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Another nice image Tuco!

I looked up that M9. Impressive stats and cost when it came out. You handle it very well!
    Thanks.

I didn't purchase my M9 new. I picked it up in bargain condition. It has manual, rangefinder focus. There is no communication between the body and the 3 lenses I have for it. So I have to manually set the focal length via the menu when I change lenses to get the frame lines in the viewfinder. The camera makes a guess at the aperture when recording EXIF info too. With the IR filter on, it always records f16 in the metadata it seems; otherwise, it usually guesses the aperture more accurately. And being a CCD sensor it doesn't have high ISO capability.

Great images Peter, Tuco, Jon, Audii-Dudii!

For full spectrum converted cameras, I found a supplier that provides a package of five filters. 680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm, and 950nm. The cost is not that much. I don't know if the quality is that great. But something to play with! Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17471632428...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by jon.oman; 10-Aug-2021 at 15:11.

Recently got my Nikon Z6 converted to IR by Lifepixel. Enhanced Color IR Filter conversion (equivalent to 665nm Filter). Was very surprised at how differently two of Nikon's Z lenses worked with IR. 24-70/4S works beautifully at all apertures and all focal lengths. The 24-200/4-6.3 is just the opposite. Center hot spot is very visible and obvious in the finder at all focal lengths. The hot spot actually looks to be a bit light blue and shows up at all apertures.
    Other lenses:
    older MF 20mm f/3.5 NIKKOR-UD... no hot spots at any aperture
    200mm-600mm AF-S Nikkor... no hot spots at any aperture or focal length
    600mm and 800mm Vivitar Series 1 lenses... no hot spots and surprisingly amazingly sharp, but finding appropriate subject matter is a real challenge.

Greg, how do you like your Z6?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

[QUOTE=jon.oman;1610228]For full spectrum converted cameras, I found a supplier the provides a package of five filters. 680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm, and 950nm.

Thanks Jon,

That is good value for the wide range of filters.

BTW, when working with non converted Sony a7 mirrorless cameras there is a settings that allows you to turn off live view, so you are able to see the image on the monitor no matter how much light the filter blocks, and still set the right exposure setting on the screen. I am not sure if the Nikon D800 allows this or not but you might check the menus as it is a very useful feature when working with cameras that have not been converted.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    For full spectrum converted cameras, I found a supplier that provides a package of five filters. 680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm, and 950nm.
    Thanks Jon,

That is good value for the wide range of filters.

BTW, when working with non converted Sony a7 mirrorless cameras there is a settings that allows you to turn off live view, so you are able to see the image on the monitor no matter how much light the filter blocks, and still set the right exposure setting on the screen. I am not sure if the Nikon D800 allows this or not but you might check the menus as it is a very useful feature when working with cameras that have not been converted.

Sandy
    I doubt that I have an option to do that, but I will check it out. It would be nice to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Greg, how do you like your Z6?
    First off let me preface this post with the fact that I have been using DSLRs professionally since around 1992. First one was a DCS 200, and I recall paying around 10K for it. Favorite DSLR has always been the D700 followed by a D4.

Z6 plusses:
    Seemingly hundreds of options available to customize the operation of the camera with.
    Seeing in the finder what actually will be captured in the image file. Have been waiting for this for years.
    Focus Peaking with MF lenses and when I am using the camera on my Multiphot for Photomacrography and Photomicrography.
    In body image stabilization.Ergonomics of the controlsImage quality
    Such a pleasure to use for IR photography.

Z6 minuses:
    Seemingly hundreds of options available to customize the operation of the camera with. 99% of them will never use.
    The Sensor is unprotected when the lens is removed. When I was doing event photography outside and changing my lenses frequently under all kinds of conditions, this would have been a problem.
    Only currently available Nikon flashes will work with the camera.
    If you purchased a Nikon FTZ Mount Adapter with your Z6, it will not work with a Z6ii unless you update its firmware. You can only update the firmware with the "older" Z6 but not with a "newer" Z6ii.IB - index is abbreviated and doesn't tell you where to find all of the camera's features.
    I'm sure the above will totally differ from one owner to the next. Would I purchase the Z6 or Z6ii over again? Yes in a heartbeat. In keeping within the topic of this thread, conversion for IR photography I definitely would have done it again without the least bit of hesitation. Considered the Z7, but for my uses the Z6 image files are plenty big.

Good stuff, Greg. I'm trying to decide what camera I'd like converted. I'm thinking either a Z5, Z6, or a D810. The newer cameras have better continuous autofocus, but I wouldn't be using that in any case, as only my AF-S 300 f/2.8 would focus with the mirrorless camera and the FTZ, and I doubt I'd use that lens much for IR photography. Maybe the 24-70 kit lens....but I've never really liked zooms, and my most used lens for IR is a 20mm.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'm thinking either a Z5, Z6, or a D810.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... The digital IR image in the viewfinder of the Z5 or Z6 is in focus when the camera focuses in on the IR image. In the D810, the visual light image in the viewfinder would be slightly out of focus when the camera was focusing in on the IR image.