Page 40 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

As much as I like how the Contax N 24-85 performs for IR photography when mounted on my Samsung NX500 -- which is to say a lot! -- it's a bit large and porky and, of course, has to be used with a preset, fixed aperture because it's electronically operated and there's no manual override.

After much research, I drew up a shortlist of possible lenses and decided to start with the early 80s vintage Minolta MD 24-35/f3.5 zoom. It's small, light (only 285g!), and inexpensive -- I paid $120 for my copy -- and this morning, I finally finished fabricating a lens panel so I could use it with my FrankenKamera VII.

I stepped out my front door, setup my tripod, aimed the camera down my driveway and across the street, and took this single photo before the HOA's landscapers arrived at my front yard and started making a mess with their power tools of mass destruction and leaf blowers:

The focal length was set at 24 mm, the aperture at f8, and the focus point was the stalk of the door mirror. While it's much too early to hazard a guess as to the level of image quality this can lens can muster, I don't see any obvious issues and, more importantly, I don't see a hot-spot, either!

This afternoon, I took another test photo, but this time, I used the Minolta MD 35-70 Macro lens I also purchased recently for $75.

The focal length was set at 35 mm, the aperture at f8, and the focus point was the front edge of the tile roof over the front door:

Again, there's no great art on display here, just a pair of test photos that, at least initially, suggest both of these lenses may perform very well for IR photography, as I'm not seeing any evidence of a hot-spot with either one.

More later, as I gain more familiarity with them. For the moment, though, I'm optimistic!
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post

Lake Redstone Falls
    Very nice Peter! I like the blacks, the whites, the smoothness of the foreground water and of course the waterfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Too hot to venture far today, so I stayed in the neighbourhood.
    Sony a6300, 16mm Tamron, 830nm

Camera, lens, and 830nm are working well for you! Of course you are the one creating the images!

Sony a6300, Tamron 16mm, 830nm

Great image!

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    As much as I like how the Contax N 24-85 performs for IR photography when mounted on my Samsung NX500 -- which is to say a lot! -- it's a bit large and porky and, of course, has to be used with a preset, fixed aperture because it's electronically operated and there's no manual override.

After much research, I drew up a shortlist of possible lenses and decided to start with the early 80s vintage Minolta MD 24-35/f3.5 zoom. It's small, light (only 285g!), and inexpensive -- I paid $120 for my copy -- and this morning, I finally finished fabricating a lens panel so I could use it with my FrankenKamera VII.

I stepped out my front door, setup my tripod, aimed the camera down my driveway and across the street, and took this single photo before the HOA's landscapers arrived at my front yard and started making a mess with their power tools of mass destruction and leaf blowers:

The focal length was set at 24 mm, the aperture at f8, and the focus point was the stalk of the door mirror. While it's much too early to hazard a guess as to the level of image quality this can lens can muster, I don't see any obvious issues and, more importantly, I don't see a hot-spot, either!

This afternoon, I took another test photo, but this time, I used the Minolta MD 35-70 Macro lens I also purchased recently for $75.

The focal length was set at 35 mm, the aperture at f8, and the focus point was the front edge of the tile roof over the front door:

Again, there's no great art on display here, just a pair of test photos that, at least initially, suggest both of these lenses may perform very well for IR photography, as I'm not seeing any evidence of a hot-spot with either one.

More later, as I gain more familiarity with them. For the moment, though, I'm optimistic!
    Finding a lens that works well with infrared is a treasure!

Thanks for all the kind words, Jon.

Well, I did it. I purchased a used full spectrum Nikon D810 from keh.com. It arrived about a week ago. It did not come with any external filters, so I ordered a cheap R72 filter to fit my Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 VR. The camera itself was graded as EX+. I did not see a thing wrong with it when it arrived. The shutter count was 3851. So, it was not used very much. Using my favorite test location, here is one of the first images I shot with it.

I don't think this is too bad for a $20.00 R72 filter.

I also ordered one of the variable Fotga filters. I did not order from their site, because shipping cost more than the filter. I ordered through ebay, and got free shipping. Anyway, I tested out something close to the Super Color 590nm and got this:

As I suspected, this variable filter is good for seeing what the effect will produce, but not so good optically. The center of this image if okay, but the edges fall apart. Anyway, this filter gives me a good idea of what to expect across the full range. With that information, I will then buy the optical quality filters I really like.

Enjoy the journey, Jon, it's a lot of fun learning this stuff.
    Maybe you've seen these already, maybe not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtTDvESgnc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dQJDZ7CKs

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Very nice Peter! I like the blacks, the whites, the smoothness of the foreground water and of course the waterfall.
    Thanks, Jon. I'm looking forward to seeing more images with your new D810. I'm thinking of getting one....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Enjoy the journey, Jon, it's a lot of fun learning this stuff.
    Maybe you've seen these already, maybe not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtTDvESgnc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dQJDZ7CKs
    Nope! I have not seen these. I have the free version of the Nik Collection. When my Photoshop CC was upgraded last week it disappeared. I guess it was no longer compatible. To use control points as described in the videos I will have to buy the new version from DXO. Bummer!