Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Andrew, that's good news. It's my understanding is that most digital cameras have an IR blocking filter. So my results are more like using an extended red film, such as Ilford's SFX 200 film.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've spent years looking at the Large Format pages and have only just started looking at these 'other' pages - even more years of enjoyment to come!

Back in 2013 I converted a D200 to IR, broadly following instructions from the internet (not there anymore but here is a Wayback machine link).

It was a fairly fraught experience taking the camera to bits. I cut a piece of Edmund Optics longpass filter (750nm) and installed it in place of the anti-aliasing glass.

Would it work? Would there be bucket loads of dust everywhere? Would the focus be thrown way out?

It worked fine, far better than I could have imagined. I must use it more.

Yew hedge by Peter Brooks

Croquet by Peter Brooks
    They look like they are playing on flour (those in the UK may remember the McDougalls flour men).

Stagshaw House by Peter Brooks
    False colour (colours inverted in PS)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Got great IR effect but always with a hot spot in the centre of the image.
    Andrew, this is most likely down to the lens, not all are IR friendly. Bjørn Rørslett on his Nikon Lens Evaluations pages often states whether a lens is suitable for IR or not... I tested all my Nikon lenses and some displayed really nasty hot spots.

His recommendation for the older 28 mm f/3.5 with a small exit pupil is absolutely spot on (I luckily found an AI'd copy). I was also pleased to find that the cheap but reasonable performing 18-55mm kit lens that came with the D200 was also very well behaved for IR

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post
    Andrew, this is most likely down to the lens, not all are IR friendly. Bjørn Rørslett on his Nikon Lens Evaluations pages often states whether a lens is suitable for IR or not... I tested all my Nikon lenses and some displayed really nasty hot spots.

His recommendation for the older 28 mm f/3.5 with a small exit pupil is absolutely spot on (I luckily found an AI'd copy). I was also pleased to find that the cheap but reasonable performing 18-55mm kit lens that came with the D200 was also very well behaved for IR

Thank you, Peter. I tested with a 20mm lens, and it seemed to work okay with the R72. I'll have to do more testing, though to make certain. I've got lots of 18-55mm lenses for the photo program I teach, but sadly their Canon.

Nice work, Peter!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Just passing on some of my observations and experiences...

All my AI converted and AIS MF Nikkors work great for shooting IR - 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm, and 300mm. No hot spots.
    Both my MF AIS Zoom Nikkors have hot spots - 35-105 & 35-135 MF AIS Nikkors.
    600mm & 800mm Vivitar Series 1 mirror lenses are great for shooting IF - very unique images. Ironically out of focus doughnuts seem to almost disappear.
    My AF-S Zoom Nikkors work great for shooting IR - 14-24, 24-70, & 200-500mm. 80-200mm AF ED still have to test.
    24-70 Z Nikkor - great for IR, no hot spots at all.
    24-200 Z Nikkor - hot spots especially at its longer focal lengths. Unfortunately unuseable.
    70mm f/5 VK70R & 120mm SMC PENTAX SOFT produce amazing IR images.
    Posted lists of lenses producing or not producing hot spots - I only agree with 90% of their listings. Maybe manufacturers made minor changes in the production of their lenses? Or?
    Post production correction of the hot spot using PS: For B&W, can be done but a pain to do. For Color, given enough skill, time, and patience most probably could be done.

First camera to shoot IR with: Nikon D2h was great at the time for shooting IR with an IR filter on the lens. The D2h either didn't have an IR filter over its sensor or a very minor one. Resulting images were rather grainy but very, very usable.
    Second camera: an IR converted D700. Compensating for refocusing for shooting IR a pain for "grab" shots.
    Third camera: Finally bit the bullet and just recently had my (third camera) Nikon Z6 converted for shooting IR.... never looked back and with absolutely no regrets. 10,000% better than shooting with the IR converted D700. Viewing the IR image in the finder is just a pleasure to use. AF is dead on.

FYI: in the 1980s and 1990s, I commercially shot 4x5 architecture IR images with a Sinar Hand and 47mm and 65mm optics. Final prints were 20x24 inches and larger. Honestly prefer those final prints to the ones I am now making with the IR converted Z6, but then I may be comparing apples to oranges... Also just starting to get to know the IR converted Z6.

I ordered a cheap IR filter set consisting of four filters, from China, that vary in strength. 680, 720, 760, 850, 950nm. My current R72 is quite worn out, as I've been using it forever. Consists of two pieces of glass, that have started to rattle around its housing ring.

Good stuff, Greg! So far I've used the following lenses successfully:

Nikkor 20mm AF,
    Nikkor 28mm AF,
    Nikkor 35mm AIS,
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Micro Nikkor 105D

Andrew, I'll be very curious to find out how the 680nm filter works out. I expect it's give a good IR effect while being significantly faster than the R72.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Good stuff, Greg! So far I've used the following lenses successfully:

Nikkor 20mm AF,
    Nikkor 28mm AF,
    Nikkor 35mm AIS,
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Micro Nikkor 105D
    Thanks, Peter.