Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I received my 950nm camera today, and I gotta say, it's quite different from 830nm, though in a subtle way.
    Exposure times are a bit slower, contrast is a bit higher, but overall, I find the look to be somewhat "cleaner" than my previous 830nm camera.

I couldn't find anyone who would do a 950nm conversion until I found Isaac Szabo: https://www.isaacszabo.com/index.html
    Isaac is an underwater photography / infrared enthusiast in Arkansas, and he may also be the friendliest, most helpful person on the internet.
    He did my 950nm conversion in one day (vs 23 days for LifePixel, who btw did a good job), and his prices are much more competitive than anyone else's.
    He converted a Sony a6300 for me, answered all my dumb questions with a smile, and stayed in constant communication right up to delivery and beyond.
    I cannot recommend him highly enough, and I'm very excited to finally be shooting 950nm IR.
    Overall, I like what I see here Ari. But, I am seeing a halo on the right edge of some of the vertical lines. Maybe my monitor, or my eyes are going funny tonight! The roofline of the building on the left. The shadow of the building on the right. If no one else sees it, it is just me!

Jon,

The hot mirror filter is essentially what is removed for a full spectrum or IR conversion, so it functions on your camera just like the original filter.

BTW, there is a filter by Fotga called a Fader that allows you to adjust wavelength from 530 nm to 750 nm. If you put one of these filters on your D800 you would see that you can see and focus on the LCD fairly well up to about 660 nm to 680 nm, then the screen will go dark somewhere around 710 nm. I sometimes use this filter on a regular = non-converted digital camera to evaluate tonal values at different wavelengths.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Overall, I like what I see here Ari. But, I am seeing a halo on the right edge of some of the vertical lines. Maybe my monitor, or my eyes are going funny tonight! The roofline of the building on the left. The shadow of the building on the right. If no one else sees it, it is just me!
    Hi Jon,
    Thank you.
    Your eyes are fine. I like to add a little diffusion, sharpening and grain.
    Also the tones are not well-separated, it's a low-quality jpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    BTW, there is a filter by Fotga called a Fader that allows you to adjust wavelength from 530 nm to 750 nm. If you put one of these filters on your D800 you would see that you can see and focus on the LCD fairly well up to about 660 nm to 680 nm, then the screen will go dark somewhere around 710 nm. I sometimes use this filter on a regular = non-converted digital camera to evaluate tonal values at different wavelengths.
    Somehow, this filter had escaped my notice until you mentioned it.

Although I'm generally happy with the results I'm achieving with my Hoya R72 filters, these Fotga Fader filters -- try saying that three times quickly! -- are almost free, so I've ordered a pair to experiment with ... thanks for the pointer!
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Sandy
    At the price, I think I will buy one! Could this be used with a full spectrum camera? Is the quality good enough? I'm thinking that it is not good enough for making images, but would allow me to see what the possibilities are.

D800fs / IRChrome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB_210303_IR_085.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	218422

By the way, did you get a "hot mirror / bandpass filter" for you D800, and by using it, do you get the normal color images that they claim?
    No, I haven't. Intended to, then got distracted and never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post

D800fs / IRChrome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB_210303_IR_085.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	218422
    Okay, I had to look this one up. Google pointed me to Kolari Vision and their special full spectrum filter that simulates Kodak Aerochrome IR film. I did not know you could do that! Cool! Another reason to get a full spectrum camera.

Link: https://kolarivision.com/product/kol...e-lens-filter/

Foreshadow by tuco, on Flickr

M9, Zeiss 35mm, R72

At the price, I think I will buy one! Could this be used with a full spectrum camera? Is the quality good enough? I'm thinking that it is not good enough for making images, but would allow me to see what the possibilities are.
    The Fader will work with a full spectrum camera just like a visual one so it is potentially useful to help understand your possibilities with both fully visual and full spectrum cameras, or for that matter with any high red filter such as the 590 mm, 620 nm or 680 mm, or even the 720 nm.

The filter is good enough for making images, though I believe there is be a slight loss in sharpness compared to a simple optical filter.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon