Page 50 of 129 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I am starting to see IR images here as post EMP war

images from the future
    No electronic? We would still need gasoline......

More testing. This time with a 760nm filter. Very little color left in this one. Almost B&W. I've read that all color is gone by 780nm. So, I thought this filter may be the sweet spot. Easy to make B&W images, but fast enough for hand held exposures. Unlike 850nm and 950nm. So, here are two handheld shots (using on-lens VR).

2021:09:07 13:36:45 : NIKON D810 : 44mm : 64 ISO : F4.5 : 0.05 sec : 5/3 EV

2021:09:07 13:39:08 : NIKON D810 : 31mm : 64 ISO : F7.1 : 1/30 sec : 5/3 EV

I should have mentioned that the sky was mostly overcast. A lot of cloud cover. The sun peeking out now and then. Not your typical infrared picture taking day!
    Last edited by jon.oman; 9-Sep-2021 at 08:28. Reason: Describe lighting conditions.

Gas stations all have electric pumps

1973 I often turned OFF the pumps before empty, we never let the pumps suck dirt or water

But the shortage was mostly big cities and rural nights

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    No electronic? We would still need gasoline......
    Tin Can

Looking good, Jon!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Fins and chrome. What more could you want? Nice!
    Thanks

Attached are two IR images I made several years ago, one of the Anderson Quarry near Columbia, SC, and another of a village in Songyang County in China.

The image of the quarry was made with a converted a7r on a tripod with an Cambo Actus and 100mm f/5.6 Schneider Apo Symmar, with nine stitches merged in PS. It was shot very late in the evening with soft lite.

The other image from Songyang was made with the same a7r with one shot and a 25mm wide angle lens.

I like to work with the Cambo Actus on a tripod as it slows me down and makes me think about the best way to photograph the image, as we experiences in LF cameras with film, but sometimes it is nice to just walk around and snap. Both methods work for me, but when I have a choice I prefer the slow method.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anderson_Quarry.jpg   Songyang_Village-2.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I have a Photoshop action that helps me with that.

Since I am using Live View on my Nikon D700 to focus and frame the image, I am finding it difficult to do it in bright sunlight. The light just washes it out! So, I ordered the following device to help me out:

This gets attached to the LCD screen on the back of the camera. It should eliminate the glare. Reviews say it works very well. I should get it via UPS on Monday.

I posted this a while ago. Thought I should post a follow-up message. The details on this viewfinder said that it would fit all camera LCD screens of 3 inches. Looking at the specs for my D700, it said that my screen had a diagonal of 3 inches. So, I ordered this product. When delivered, I found out it would not fit. It was too wide. It was impacting the buttons on the left. The frame on the product had a width of 3 inches. The width of my LCD was a little over 2-3/4 inches. So, the manufacturer of the camera was quoting diagonal, and the manufacturer of the viewfinder was quoting width. The viewfinder spec did not say width or diagonal, it just said 3 inches!

After returning the incorrect product, and some careful research (including going to the products web site!), I chose this product:

This product fit like a glove on my D700 and fixed the problem I was having with being able to see the live view screen.

Then I got my Nikon D810. So, I knew I needed to use this viewfinder on it as well. Turns out the LCD is the same size as the D700. But, there are two horizontal ridges on the camera. One above the LCD screen, and one below the LCD screen. The steel frame that needs to be adhered to the LCD screen is 52mm high. The space between the ridges is 51mm. Time for a bit of surgery!

I clamped the second frame into my woodworking vise, and used a metal file to file it down. That worked, but I found out that the pressure squeezed the glue out of the sandwich made up of the release paper and the frame. Well, there wasn't enough glue left to make a good bond, and the frame would not stick to the LCD.

I called the manufacturer, and they sent me two new frames for free. I then tried again. This time, I used a drum sander on my drill press, and ground the frame to size. This worked. The second frame is attached to my D810 and has been functional for the last few weeks.
    Last edited by jon.oman; 9-Sep-2021 at 09:20. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Attached are two IR images I made several years ago, one of the Anderson Quarry near Columbia, SC, and another of a village in Songyang County in China.

The image of the quarry was made with a converted a7r on a tripod with an Cambo Actus and 100mm f/5.6 Schneider Apo Symmar, with nine stitches merged in PS. It was shot very late in the evening with soft lite.

The other image from Songyang was made with the same a7r with one shot and a 25mm wide angle lens.

I like to work with the Cambo Actus on a tripod as it slows me down and makes me think about the best way to photograph the image, as we experiences in LF cameras with film, but sometimes it is nice to just walk around and snap. Both methods work for me, but when I have a choice I prefer the slow method.

Sandy
    Wonderful set of images! The Cambo Actus looks very interesting.

Wonderful set of images! The Cambo Actus looks very interesting.
    Jon,

Thanks for your comment.

I had the same problem working in bright conditions with a converted D800, and solved it with a similar solution to your viewfinder. But it is hard to find one that fits well and does not get knocked off easily.

One of the solutions is to photograph just before or after the sun rises or goes down. IR light is also very beautiful in these conditions. The attached images of palmettos was madey just a few minutes before the sun went down. I also like to photograph palmettos back lighted in full sun, it is really a spectacular look on the LCD.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Palmettos.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Very inspiring work, Sandy!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know