Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper cutting preferences

Paper cutting preferences

Time to buy a new paper cutter for the darkroom. Guillotine or rotary? Brands?

None of them have great reviews until you get into the $400+ models which handle 40 + sheets. I only need to cut 1-5 sheets at a time. And I need it to be straight, square, and not jagged or trailing off at the ends. Budget ~ $100.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Paper cutting preferences

Rotatrims have never failed me.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

To trim photographs as part of mounting, I found a used, earlier (yellow)16x20 Rototrim model that works great. I paid $150 for it.

For cutting test sheets, I found a used, 11x14 rotary paper cutter that cost about $60 on EBay.

I was lucky to find my paper trimmer for $150 used.

Most of the pros I know use guillotine cutters. I assume good ones are expensive unless you can find something used in good condition. I have a Rotatrim. They are not the cheapest but I don’t make large prints so my relatively small model was affordable - at least it was at the time. I don’t think you can get a new one for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Time to buy a new paper cutter for the darkroom. Guillotine or rotary? Brands?

None of them have great reviews until you get into the $400+ models which handle 40 + sheets. I only need to cut 1-5 sheets at a time. And I need it to be straight, square, and not jagged or trailing off at the ends. Budget ~ $100.

I've always had more trouble keeping cuts straight with a guillotine than with a rotary cutter. YMMV.

There are inexpensive rotary cutters that might serve for light to moderate use. How large do you need?

In the desert...

I'd like to find a good one for cutting sheet film

Rototrim for me too. I have two other trimmers sitting in storage and just use my 24" Rototrim for everything now. Once squared well, it is reliable, accurate and robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I'd like to find a good one for cutting sheet film
    Dave, I imagine a 24" Rototrim would be suitable for your film-cutting purposes too. You may have to add stops (thicknesses of tape, etc.) to position the film in the dark, but I can't think of anything else offhand that would give you as clean a cut.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

Dual-rail Rototrims. I have both the 24 and 42 inch versions. They've been dependable for decades. But top end Dahle guillotine trimmers aren't much cheaper, and certainly aren't as safe in the dark. Only a hundred dollar budget? What does it cost to get a finger reattached? You might want to put that in perspective. But given your budget parameters, the less than ideal cut of a cheaper linear cutter would still make a lot more sense than a cheapo guillotine version - their sheer sloppiness tempts one to use them too aggressively.

That being said, cutting sheet film down to correct size is a more demanding application than just cutting printing paper in the dark. If the film is just a little off, it won't fit in the holder properly. Not an application where you want to pinch pennies. Another hundred dollars is just another box of 8X10 film these day, and just how much of it do you want to gamble with and waste trying to get the film squarely sized to begin with, before you even shoot it?

Rototrim here, too. I've had it for 40+ years and never an issue.

From a safety aspect I dislike guillotine cutters. I use Rotatrim, double rail and the Dahle. Both used them for 30 years, both never let me down.
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.