Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Arca-Swiss

Re: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

And there is also the modular precise Arca-Swiss 8x10 or 4x5. See youtube by Ben Horne for the 8x10 Arca-Swiss introduction.

And there are format kits to change to larger or smaller size camera.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    I have up to $2500 to spend on an 8x10.
    If you search around, you can probably snag a Deardorff for this much, if you don't mind having to fix it up, replace bellows, etc...

Biased opinion, Toyo 810M. Dis-like for wood cameras. Of all the 8x10 field folders, Toyo 810M remains the all time fave for a very long list of reasons.

Alternative is to build a camera. This can work if the camera needs are not complex and if one is willing to tolerate a less than precision-accurate-stable camera (really no different than new budget view cameras as they are essentially low cost mechanical devices).

Bernice

Alternatively, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately, my father is a CNC machinist/master carpenter (he literally hand-built nearly all of the furniture in my parents' house growing up) and I've been thinking that it would be terrific to build an 8x10 camera from scratch with him, now that he's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands. I just don't know where to source all the parts like the ground glass and bellows and whatnot...
    Some bits might be challenging to make, but I would totally do this, just research first with your father to figure out the bits that you can't do your self. Once you have that list, find other sources for those bits and make sure your design matches those third party parts. For instance, find an appropriate bellows sized for another 8x10, then design the standards to match that bellows. I have no fabrication skills, but if you have access to someone who does, I think it would be really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by martiansea View Post
    If you search around, you can probably snag a Deardorff for this much, if you don't mind having to fix it up, replace bellows, etc...
    I bought my last V8 for his budget price, my "user" for less than that. That way, you get a classic camera made in the US, not an import made at the cheapest price for people "new" to large format. I haven't had to "fix" any of mine up. Just wait for one to come up on one of the forums and don't pay stupid money for one!

I doubt you can do much cheaper than an intrepid, even if built it yourself.

I’d get that and by the time you’ve used it well, gained experience, and identified what you’d like to see improved, you can decide if you want to build or upgrade.

The camera is only 1 thing. I believe you’re better off spending the extra money on film, lenses and traveling to shoot. Then, after a while, you can re-evaluate and you can probably resell your intrepid at little to no cost, if not with a profit.

I'd love to get the Toyo 810M or the Arca Swiss or the Deardorff, but those are a bit out of my price range. What exactly is it about Deardorffs aside from the name that make them so special, above even, say, a Chamonix 810?

Can anyone comment on the Nagaoka 8x10? It's seemingly more in my price range.

Toyo 810M, metal field folder.

Arca Swiss, monorail.

Deardorff, wood field folder.

Three distinctly different cameras. Each has distinct advantages / disadvantages.

~Given these brands and camera styles, add Sinar.

If the camera cost alone is excessive, consider the entire 8x10 system cost and per sheet of 8x10 film cost.

~Good lenses are going to be a LOT more $ than 4x5 or 5x7.

~More stout tripod and tripod head.

~Film holders are more $ than 4x5 or 5x7 and the film holders are LOTs bigger, bulkier and all that. Load up ten 8x10 film holders then comes how to carry them.

~8x10 film per sheet $10 to $30 per sheet, double that per film holder. Add processing cost.

~Then print making.. which can be similar to smaller sheet film cost.

Bottom line, 8x10 sheet film has never been a budget sheet film format, flinching at the cost of a good 8x10 camera could signal that might not be the ideal sheet film format given the budget allocated. Sure there are low cost ways to do 8x10, that may not get the absolute best out of 8x10.

Then again, if one is contact printing 8x10 or larger can work really good and the lenses does not need to be that good at all.

Bernice

I'd love to get the Toyo 810M or the Arca Swiss or the Deardorff, but those are a bit out of my price range. What exactly is it about Deardorffs aside from the name that make them so special, above even, say, a Chamonix 810?

Can anyone comment on the Nagaoka 8x10? It's seemingly more in my price range.

Not trying to decide anything for you, but several pros and serious amateurs I have worked with got the itch to shoot 8X10... Some rented one for a couple of weekends, and some took the plunge whole hog for an outfit (they were dedicated 4X5 shooters)... Most all of them decided it was not worth the effort and costs involved, as they had a wider choice of FL's, greater portability, ability to enlarge with common enlarger, lower costs, and a higher ratio of good to so-so with their familiar 4X5's... The ones that stuck with it were trying to charge clients more for bigger film (pros), or needed larger negs for alternative processes... But the larger systems tended to stay in their studios, or in their closets or garages waiting to be used someday...

Your call, but getting one of the new cameras (that have the bugs worked out) at least is ready to shoot, but an old camera might have several issues requiring time/money/effort to begin using...

Steve K

Everybody buys a second camera after their first choice is discarded as unworthily, too heavy, too crappy, too too

Regardless of format
    Tin Can