Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Re: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by jakew0814 View Post
    I'm going to go with the intrepid for what it's worth, save some money for holders and film. Plus it's local in comparison.
    The price is attractive and good for a learning tool but be prepared to make tweaks and little modifications and not do anything serious until you are sure it will deliver reliable results. Check on lead times too.

Quote Originally Posted by richydicky View Post
    The price is attractive and good for a learning tool but be prepared to make tweaks and little modifications and not do anything serious until you are sure it will deliver reliable results. Check on lead times too.
    That's true with many cameras, especially older ones.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm actually also looking for an 8x10 camera after having used a 4x5 for several years now. I was also thinking about the 8x10 Intrepid Mark II, but I've read complaints that it's actually too light a camera, acting almost like a sail even in soft wind.

The Gibellini Bellatrix 810 actually looks very promising. I noticed that it has an optional "Bright Ground Glass" in addition to its standard "Plastic Ground Glass". Would this negatate the need for the also optional 8x10 fresnel?

Something to consider when jumping up, is what kind of budget will you have for the camera ? If you have the funds, and prefer the traditional knobs on the side for bed extensions, I'd suggest Canham (even though I have the Zone VI camera). I also have an Intrepid v1.0 8x10 and it pretty well only comes out if I need a very light camera for hiking distances. If you can work with the rear central worm gear focus of many of the newer camera, I'd include Richard Ritter's camera in your search. Good luck !
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Manfrominternet, if you have the budget, i'd consider either the Canham or the Chamonix Alpinist. Working with 8x10 (& larger) is not an inexpensive endeavour, so IMO it's a good idea to do some research and buy a camera that suits the work you're doing, but you don't feel you need to 'upgrade.'

Jakew0814 Since you've already indicated that you've made up you mind for an Intrepid, go for it!

Don't second guess your decision unless something unforeseen happens.
    No negative could read the nameplate on the camera that took it.

Get some film holders and have at it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post

The Gibellini Bellatrix 810 actually looks very promising. I noticed that it has an optional "Bright Ground Glass" in addition to its standard "Plastic Ground Glass". Would this negatate the need for the also optional 8x10 fresnel?
    I have the Gibellini Belatrix and find the plastic ground glass to be plenty bright enough. It is a little courser than I normally like but not enough to bother changing it. So far I'm very pleased with the camera.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

I have up to $2500 to spend on an 8x10. Do you guys think the Gibellini Bellatrix 810 would be the wisest choice or can I do better? (I've just read some horror stories when it comes with Gibellini's customer service, so I'm not sure if I should take it with a grain of salt.) I do want to get an 8x10 to last a lifetime and have no intention of selling it. If it helps, I primarily shoot cityscapes/landscapes with color negs/slides so weight is rather important.

Two of my 4x5 lenses can be used with an 8x10 (240mm Fuji A f/9 and a 300mm Nikon M f/9) so I'm itching to jump right in.

Alternatively, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately, my father is a CNC machinist/master carpenter (he literally hand-built nearly all of the furniture in my parents' house growing up) and I've been thinking that it would be terrific to build an 8x10 camera from scratch with him, now that he's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands. I just don't know where to source all the parts like the ground glass and bellows and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post

Alternatively, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately, my father is a CNC machinist/master carpenter (he literally hand-built nearly all of the furniture in my parents' house growing up) and I've been thinking that it would be terrific to build an 8x10 camera from scratch with him, now that he's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands. I just don't know where to source all the parts like the ground glass and bellows and whatnot...
    I've bought bellows from Rudy at ecbuyonline at eBay and have been happy with them, https://www.ebay.com/itm/28380155329...75.c101224.m-1

I've also bought ground glass from photo finder on eBay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/23317055922...Cclp%3A2334524
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

If building an 8X10, consider a magnesium Calumet C1 Back only

Very light, very carefully made, attaches with 2 fasteners to anything flat

I sold my C1, but kept C1 4X5, 5X7, 8X10 backs for their studyness, bail back, excellent GG registration, also vented so GG is not corner cut. I use them on this, notice the 2 bolts on either side, that thread into inserts

Levy 8X10 Macro 2-1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Hard to find now that I write this, I got mine before the madness...

They can be OE white, black or green, later versions are far heavier aluminum, but still very good

Good enough for Karsh
    Tin Can