Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Re: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Everybody buys a second camera after their first choice is discarded as unworthily, too heavy, too crappy, too too

Regardless of format
    Or the alternative is when they do their homework (including possibly field testing it) instead of discarding their first choice they augment it with a second camera that broadens their objectives (likely mobility/weight) issues. In complete agreement with Bernice. My tan Toyo 810M has been with me for years because it is quick, easy and stable albeit a bit on the weighty side. Hiking 5 miles +/- the Canham wooden 8x10 is in play. Longer distances on the trail the 8x10 Intrepid gets the nod. Finding a photographic personal harmonic in a world of compromise is why everyone has a divergent response to this question. But the beauty is the print does not care how it got there.

Does anyone have experience with any of the 8x10 Stenopeika cameras? They've just put out a new model of their Hyper Advanced 8x10 and it looks very promising.

jake0814, Not everyone on the forum is a serial 8x10 buyer. My personal approach is to buy a 'keeper' camera rather than an entry-level. As mentioned, if the cost of the camera is a squeeze, it's worth considering if 8x10 is for you. An Intrepid costs the same as 2 x 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 black & white film. There are a lot of fine used 8x10 cameras for sale. Many well known pro photographers are still using the same old camera. Jay Dusard for example is still using the same Kodak MV that he used for his book "The North American Cowboy: A Portrait" in 1983. Unlike digital cameras they don't become obsolete.

Intrepid + xray film + contact printing = inexpensive.

Intrepid + Foma 200 + contact printing = moderately expensive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Add:

$ for Lens.

$ for Tripod.

$ for light meter.

$ for Loupe, dark cloth, cable release, and all related items required to operate a view camera.

$ for outfit case.

$ for transport and travel if Foto_ing away from home.

$ for Film Processing.

$ for Print making.

~ Related resources including lifetime spent which is not possible to replace.

~Regardless of how images are made, these requirements apply.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Intrepid + xray film + contact printing = inexpensive.

Intrepid + Foma 200 + contact printing = moderately expensive.

YES _!_

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Finding a photographic personal harmonic in a world of compromise is why everyone has a divergent response to this question. But the beauty is the print does not care how it got there.

Meh, All view cameras are fundamentally a light tight box that is flexi in the center with stable (ideally), adjustable ends. One end has a means to attach a lens, other end has a means to attach an image recording device be it film or solid state image sensor.

Little if anything has changed about this fundamental reality of what defines a view camera, what could possibly be applied to techno advance this fact?

Lower weight has specific trade-offs & advantages, heavy-bulky has specific advantages & trade-offs. Neither can meet all image making needs.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoShrew View Post
    Does anyone have experience with any of the 8x10 Stenopeika cameras? They've just put out a new model of their Hyper Advanced 8x10 and it looks very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoShrew View Post
    I purchased a Stenopeika Leonardo camera as my first 8x10. It took some time to get it but I like the camera. I like the way I can control view camera movements. The rail focusing mechanism is quite smooth and I almost don't even need to use the fine adjustment knob. It has enough bellows extension to allow me to use a Cooke XVa with its 646mm cell alone. Overall I am quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jamgolf View Post
    I purchased a Stenopeika Leonardo camera as my first 8x10. It took some time to get it but I like the camera. I like the way I can control view camera movements. The rail focusing mechanism is quite smooth and I almost don't even need to use the fine adjustment knob. It has enough bellows extension to allow me to use a Cooke XVa with its 646mm cell alone. Overall I am quite happy.
    Looks like a great camera. Plenty of great places here in Colorado to put it to use. Been exploring here for many years and still have a lot to "see".

The trick is find the camera that best fits your style of photography. There ins't one camera that is the best or will make you a better photographer. Take your time and look at what's available. If you can it would be nice to shoot with at least one or two camera's to see how you like them. I would look for a camera that you can have for the rest of your life. Good luck