Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Talking Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and looking into getting my first 8x10 for backpacking, there doesn't appear to be too many options, definitely not affordable ones at least.

I have the a nice tripod with a good arca head, a Fujinon W 250/6.7, L558 spot meter + cloth & loupe etc. Now all I need are the holders and the camera...

Am I better to shop used, bide my time aswell as save cash for something like a Chamonix or Canham. Or would I be better starting with something cheaper like the Intrepid mk2 or the Stenopeika Hyper 8x10?

I am based in the UK btw, thanks all.

Re: Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

Buy Intrepid

asap
    Tin Can

An 8x10 Burke & James Commercial view camera is a good start. It was for me. After using it for a few years, I stripped the gray paint and refinished the wood. Ended up selling it for three times what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Buy Intrepid

asap
    Really considering it, the weight and price point are big plusses.

You're in the UK so yeah the Intrepid would be great. If you don't like it or find a better camera for your personal needs you can resell fairly easily. It's a no-brainer IMO. Start shooting NOW, don't put off making images to save for a more expensive and not necessarily better camera.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Here's another vote for the Intrepid. I own the Kickstarter Mk1 version and the latest Mk2 and, though they're not particularly precise cameras, they're great for backpacking over longer distances. You might have to fiddle with the camera a bit more than other more expensive models, but it will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You're in the UK so yeah the Intrepid would be great. If you don't like it or find a better camera for your personal needs you can resell fairly easily. It's a no-brainer IMO. Start shooting NOW, don't put off making images to save for a more expensive and not necessarily better camera.
    I think you're right, I want to make the most of this summer too after being stuck in for so long...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Here's another vote for the Intrepid. I own the Kickstarter Mk1 version and the latest Mk2 and, though they're not particularly precise cameras, they're great for backpacking over longer distances. You might have to fiddle with the camera a bit more than other more expensive models, but it will get the job done.
    How does the camera zero out on the front standard? Are there detents or marks or do you add your own? Do you think there the mk2 is much improved?

thanks

You have a french alternative https://woodymanproject.com/
    very good reviews also

Quote Originally Posted by Michael77 View Post
    You have a french alternative https://woodymanproject.com/
    very good reviews also
    oh these do look nice also, I like the blacked out version especially.