Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shutter choice for a newbie

shutter choice for a newbie

Hello all,

Shutters are at least as deep a sea as lenses are. Basically we have Copal, Compur, Seiko and probably some few others I have not yet heard of. 99% are mecanical spring based. A few models are called electronic (Some Compurs for instance). So how to I find my way in this ?

Electronic shutters are a bad idea. Not that they are not working well but because there is not that much people who will know how to repair them. So when all goes wrong, there is not much to be done. That, I do understand.

I also understand that Copal models are appreciated. If I have the choice, newer model B Copal shutters (all black) is probably the best idea. What about model C (thick silver speed ring) or model S (thin silver speed ring) ? They are older (model C) or much older (model S), so obviously less reliable. So can I still rely on them or should I walk away from them !

Same question applies to Compur and Seiko shutters. I probably have not yet searched enough. But I don't have much information on them. So can I trust them or should I walk away from them ?

Obviously, I know we're talking about tiny mecanical objects that may be decades old. So there is no undisputable truth. I can end up with a bad Copal B shutter or find a nice seiko that will last years without any issue.

I could put this differently : I understand that younger / better looking shutters (& lenses) are probably a better idea. But this does have a cost. So how far, should I follow this rule ?

Daniel

Re: shutter choice for a newbie

things to think about:
    1. are you going (to learn) to service shutters yourself;
    2. are you going to have them serviced by someone else;
    3. are you not having them serviced but want out of the box as perfect as possible working shutters.

If it only comes down to costs, then all 3 options may seem different in that aspect, but no 1 although upfront may seem less costly, will take more of your costly time; as for the others, since nr. 3 are hard to find, nr. 2 seems what most people are after.

My Flickr

I own lenses with Copal, Seiko, and Ilex shutters. Most of the Copal shuttered lenses I've had for 40+ years and never had one serviced. The Ilex shutter is the only one I've ever had serviced and I did that only because the slower speeds were running too slow.

Buy Black

ULF usually needs Galli or Packard

some use a hat
    Tin Can

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for your answer !

Option 1 is probably not for me. But maybe I'll discover something about me that I don't know yet :-) So I will probably do as mot people do and have my shutter(s) serviced by skilled people when they need to.

However, my question is still valid. As a newbie, I want to avoid unnecessary risk. I'd say that I want to find a lens & shutter that work reasonably well on day 1. I understand that if a shutter works on day 1 it doesn't mean it will work on day 150 (and it will most probably need service before day 1200 !).

So if there is anything to avoid, any specific model less reliable than others... , I'd like to hear about it before buying the first bad lens & shutter available on the internet :-)

Obviously "Ask the seller" is the first good advise I can use.

Maybe a simple rule such as "If the shutter is not too old and very clean, use it until service is needed. If the shutter is old or not too clean, have it cleaned & lubricated before anything" is enough to stay away from trouble. However, it feels like there is more to it than that !

Daniel

Daniel

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

“ Maybe a simple rule such as "If the shutter is not too old and very clean, use it until service is needed. If the shutter is old or not too clean, have it cleaned & lubricated before anything" is enough to stay away from trouble. However, it feels like there is more to it than that !”

It really is that simple for the most part. It depends on your goals. If you want to really minimize risk and maximize reliability an old shutter (and they are ALL old now) should get a professional overhaul. A bit more risk is to use until it shows signs of needing service, like slower speeds under-performing. I feel confident buying a shutter that the slower speeds are too slow but not one with broken shutter/aperture blades, for instance. Normal wear is generally easily resolved; broken is not.

If you buy a Sinar Mechanical Copal Shutter you can adapt it to your boards and camera(s), and then use any barrel lens on those. Very economical in that sense and gives you a lot of choices
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thank you all for your advises !

Tin Can, I'll start modest with 4x5. Anyway, I'll try to think & buy a hat too :-)

BrianShaw, I'll keep that in mind.

Daniel

daniel, demandez chez galerie-photo.com/forum

Quote Originally Posted by danielha View Post

Electronic shutters are a bad idea. Not that they are not working well but because there is not that much people who will know how to repair them. So when all goes wrong, there is not much to be done. That, I do understand.
    A key issue with electronics is the ability to get the bits needed to keep them going are generally only going to be from the manufacturer of the unit, and electronics typically have a relatively short marketplace lifetime.

Mechanical bits can be potentially reworked or new ones made, or old shutters cannibalized, if the skills and desire exist.

Not so for electronic circuit boards (especially flexible ones required for packaging), nor for specialized electronic components (integrated circuits).