Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reversal vs negative

Re: Reversal vs negative

Admission of binary guilt, most often used camera is the iPhone camera..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If I switched to digital, then I wouldn't have you to discuss film photography with.

Drew Wiley

Velvia is bland compared to what is routinely being done these days via digital saturation. Velvia could be sugary. Most recent landscape work is more like buckets of jam and jelly and honey dumped atop a bowl of sugar cubes. Doesn't take long for your taste buds to go numb. No restraint, no balance.

Much about jabbing the eyes with color coated sticks of visual weaponry.

This what "landscape" images have become today to be "differnt" under the guise of expressive creativity?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Velvia is bland compared to what is routinely being done these days via digital saturation. Velvia could be sugary. Most recent landscape work is more like buckets of jam and jelly and honey dumped atop a bowl of sugar cubes. Doesn't take long for your taste buds to go numb. No restraint, no balance.

I love Velvia, especially Velvia 50. Sorry I'm bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Much about jabbing the eyes with color coated sticks of visual weaponry.

This what "landscape" images have become today to be "differnt" under the guise of expressive creativity?

Bernice
    Sorry I'm hurting your eyes with my Velvia 50. Would you like my handkerchief to dab them?

Drew Wiley

These are all just tools, Alan. Velvia can be used tastefully just like Photoshop controls can be. As I've explained before, I found Velvia wonderful for certain kinds of hues, especially in low contrast lighting. No, for me personally it was certainly not the most versatile choice of transparency film, but valuable to have available in my overall tool kit. But some people just go hog wild trying to see who has the loudest megaphone when it comes to color. The psychology and physiology of color saturation has a lot more to do with relationships of hues to one another, and how they are modulated by intervening neutrals, than by sheer blockbuster axe-wielding brute force. That's why I almost literally threw up the first time I saw some Peter Lik prints - it was just like gagging on ridiculously over-spiced, over-sweetened, or over-salted food. Not even one drop of color sophistication.

My keenness to embrace reversal film has receded slightly in the last few days as I have worked out a basic recipe and workflow to invert colour negatives as a preset in Lightroom, based on Alex Burke's recommendations. With one click this gets me to a starting point that I can quickly tweak to my own satisfaction. It still leaves me with sliders going the wrong way, but it is quick and doesn't depend on adjustments within the Negative Lab Pro plugin. I shall still try reversal films, but in parallel with negatives, not as an immediate replacement.

These are all just tools, Alan. Velvia can be used tastefully just like Photoshop controls can be. As I've explained before, I found Velvia wonderful for certain kinds of hues, especially in low contrast lighting. No, for me personally it was certainly not the most versatile choice of transparency film, but valuable to have available in my overall tool kit. But some people just go hog wild trying to see who has the loudest megaphone when it comes to color. The psychology and physiology of color saturation has a lot more to do with relationships of hues to one another, and how they are modulated by intervening neutrals, than by sheer blockbuster axe-wielding brute force. That's why I almost literally threw up the first time I saw some Peter Lik prints - it was just like gagging on ridiculously over-spiced, over-sweetened, or over-salted food. Not even one drop of color sophistication.
    Provia is suppose to be better than Velvia to tone down the colors. I'm trying it now. Also has more stops. I started using Velvia after it came out. Outdoor Photographer and other magazines used it a lot on their covers, surely for it's "pop".

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    My keenness to embrace reversal film has receded slightly in the last few days as I have worked out a basic recipe and workflow to invert colour negatives as a preset in Lightroom, based on Alex Burke's recommendations. With one click this gets me to a starting point that I can quickly tweak to my own satisfaction. It still leaves me with sliders going the wrong way, but it is quick and doesn't depend on adjustments within the Negative Lab Pro plugin. I shall still try reversal films, but in parallel with negatives, not as an immediate replacement.
    Why are you not as happy with reversal film now due to Burke's methods?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why are you not as happy with reversal film now due to Burke's methods?
    I still like the idea of evaluating a colour film directly - I find it difficult as an orange negative, though I find less problem with B&W.
    As for trying reversal, it will be just part of my large format exploration along side trails (which may turn out to be my main road eventually).