Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doubts about Schneider Tele-Xenar 360mm 5.5

Re: Doubts about Schneider Tele-Xenar 360mm 5.5

I have tested (loupe on the gg) the lens against other mounted on Compound iii. My lens is totally soft on the copal 3 but when mounted on this compound it turns sharp as the other lens. It seems that the 7mm shorter when mounted on the copal 3 is the problem. Front cell is very similar in distance to iris in both lenses so all the problem is in the rear cell. I have ordered a spacer by Rafcamera (10mm m56x0.75 male to m56x0.75 female). I hope this solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by afotandolaciudad View Post
    I have tested (loupe on the gg) the lens against other mounted on Compound iii. My lens is totally soft on the copal 3 but when mounted on this compound it turns sharp as the other lens. It seems that the 7mm shorter when mounted on the copal 3 is the problem. Front cell is very similar in distance to iris in both lenses so all the problem is in the rear cell. I have ordered a spacer by Rafcamera (10mm m56x0.75 male to m56x0.75 female). I hope this solve the problem.
    If it were me I would sell the Copal #3 and buy another Compound III. Then spacing problems go away and all you would have to deal with is computing the new f/stops which can be done with direct measurement. A good gas powered Compound has very little to service over time excepting the piston getting dirty. My clockmaker friend says they are the most reliable type of shutter over time. Air pressure is very constant consistent. I have three Tele-Xenar 360s and they are all GOOD. One is set up for Plaubel Makiflex Automatic Iris automation.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks Daniel.
    I've written a WTB announce in the forum some days ago but it seems something not easy at all.
    My most used camera (MPP Mark viii) has some problems when mounting copal 3 (I need to go slowly and to rise a little the front standard). No problems when mounting compound III. But for now is the easiest way to go.

At the risk of information overload, at one time Copal supplied Schneider with No. 3 shutters with threads and tube length that matched the No. 3 Compound, see: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...opal-3-Shutter

I have a 360 mm Tele-Xenar mounted in a No. 3 Copal. Its threads are consistent with the M55.69 x 40 threads per inch of the No. 3 Compound and its tube length is 37 mm, also consistent with the No. 3 Compound. These dimensions are not consistent with a standard No. 3 or 3s Copal, the No. 3 being threaded M58-.75 with a tube length of 32 mm and the 3s being threaded M56-.75 with a tube length 28.6 mm. By its serial number my Tele-Xenar was made circa 1967-1968. I have a hunch that it later years Schneider used the standard No. 3 Copal but I don't know that for sure.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    At the risk of information overload, at one time Copal supplied Schneider with No. 3 shutters with threads and tube length that matched the No. 3 Compound, see: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...opal-3-Shutter

I have a 360 mm Tele-Xenar mounted in a No. 3 Copal. Its threads are consistent with the M55.69 x 40 threads per inch of the No. 3 Compound and its tube length is 37 mm, also consistent with the No. 3 Compound. These dimensions are not consistent with a standard No. 3 or 3s Copal, the No. 3 being threaded M58-.75 with a tube length of 32 mm and the 3s being threaded M56-.75 with a tube length 28.6 mm. By its serial number my Tele-Xenar was made circa 1967-1968. I have a hunch that it later years Schneider used the standard No. 3 Copal but I don't know that for sure.

David
    Very interesting.
    Your shutter is some kind of hybrid. Mine is labeled as Copal 3 but threads are 56x0.75 (3s).

Edit.
    Can you help me measuring f-stop numbers in this copal 3. I would need diameter full open, 5.5, 8... 32. This would be exceptionally helpful. My shutter belongs to other lens (I don't know what lens) and begins at f/4.5. Maybe it came from xenar 210.
    Last edited by afotandolaciudad; 11-Jun-2021 at 01:06.

To confuse things slightly more; when the Compur 2 and Compound III, IV and V became unavailable Schneider responded by using the next shutter size up with adapter rings/bushes to make up the differences in diameter. Sometimes when you remove the cells from the shutter the ring will stick in the shutter, other times it sticks to the cell and it isn't immediately obvious that there is an adapter ring in place. So the 240 Symmar (and 150 Xenotar) went from a Compur 2 to a Copal 3 and the 300 Symmar (and the 360 Tele-Xenar) went from a Compound III to a Copal 3. The 360 Symmar went the other way, going from a Compound IV to a Copal 3 and being reborn as the 355/6.8 Symmar. This also seems to be the case if you wanted the Compur Electronic which wan't available in a size 2 or 4. In any case, in the US at least, you could order a lot of lenses in other shutters like the Alphax/Betax or Ilex if you desired.

I've received the ring from Rafcamera, put it on the rear cell and adjust to 110mm overall length.
    Now the image on the GG is sharp (it was very soft before and overall length was 102,5mm).

Ok, good news!

Now the odd news

There is a member here that shoots beautiful portraits with only the front half of that lens

I leave it to my friend to tell that story
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Ok, good news!

Now the odd news

There is a member here that shoots beautiful portraits with only the front half of that lens

I leave it to my friend to tell that story
    I would like to see these images!

Making your own is far better

for you

Quote Originally Posted by afotandolaciudad View Post
    I would like to see these images!
    Tin Can