Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Multigrade 500HLE For 8x10 Enlarger Needs Work

Ilford Multigrade 500HLE For 8x10 Enlarger Needs Work

Hi Everyone,

I am building an 8x10 darkroom. I was fortunate enough to get a Ilford Multigrade 500HLE enlarger head that can fit on top of it. The problem is that I can not get the lights to turn on. I don’t know if it is a power problem or a bulb issue but it seems strange all 4 bulbs would be out. I have never used one of these machines before. I don’t think it is broken. Any Ilford Multigrade 500 experts out there that could tell me what to do or push me in the right direction? I made a video of it. Check it out. Any ideas would be helpful.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshjlUaqDl4

Re: Ilford Multigrade 500HLE For 8x10 Enlarger Needs Work

Have you tried to turn on the light with the door closed, it kills the circuit if open. Do it in a darkened room its not very bright, one of the drawback of the 810 head. No white light focus. Do you have a spare bulb.. The control panel is not showing any faults. the red buttons on the front will light up when on to let you know if a bulb is out.

As the previous respondent said, opening the door kills the power to the bulbs. If the door is closed and neither light come on I would replace one of the bulbs and give that a try. If all else fails there is a guy that specializes in repairing this unit. I send him my multigrade unit and I learned I had a power pack problem that needed to be fixed. Worked like a champ ever since. If my memory serves me correctly he is apogee on the auction site.

This could be just about anything, but none of 4 bulbs turning on leads me to believe the prime suspect is the power supply unit. It's been a while since I used my 500 head, but as I recall, the bulbs are switched with relays, and I hear no clicks in your video as you try to turn them on. This suggests there might be a problem with a low voltage circuit in the power supply that powers the relay coils. But that's a bit of a wild guess. In your place I'd take a DMV and start probing around the sockets etc. to see if anything is happening (likely not) and then open up the power supply and start scouting around there. But that requires some knowledge of electronics that you may or may not have. If not, best send it out to someone who has the knowledge and experience required to work on equipment like this. It may turn out be something simple as corroded plugs, a blown fuse and/or degraded electrolytic caps somewhere, but without proper diagnosis it's a wild goose hunt.

OK. It looks like I am going to have to get someone to fix this. I don't know about electronics enough to do it on my own. I got a bad feeling this is going to be painful. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    OK. It looks like I am going to have to get someone to fix this. I don't know about electronics enough to do it on my own. I got a bad feeling this is going to be painful. Thanks everyone for the advice.
    I am not sure apogeebee on Ebay will work on the 810 system but definitely give him a message. If you need the Service manual I can scan mine when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow images View Post
    I am not sure apogeebee on Ebay will work on the 810 system but definitely give him a message. If you need the Service manual I can scan mine when I get a chance.
    I can't imagine Ilford would deviate from the 500 multi grade platform to upgrade to an 8x10 head version. My money is on the identical circuitry just doubled up for the beefier version. Apogeebe is your problem solver - no question about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I can't imagine Ilford would deviate from the 500 multi grade platform to upgrade to an 8x10 head version. My money is on the identical circuitry just doubled up for the beefier version. Apogeebe is your problem solver - no question about that.

They are different. You can't use the standard control pad with the LE system.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow images View Post
    They are different. You can't use the standard control pad with the LE system.
    I acknowledge they are different systems that are incompatible. All I am saying is that if you are an electrical engineer intimately familiar with the standard 500 multi grade platform, my money is on the fact that you likely have garnered the technical acumen to "diagnose and fix" the upgraded version of this system. Every day my unit continues to function as it was designed is reinforcement to the fact that I sent it off to get properly diagnosed and repaired.

Did you send of a 8x10 system or regular?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I acknowledge they are different systems that are incompatible. All I am saying is that if you are an electrical engineer intimately familiar with the standard 500 multi grade platform, my money is on the fact that you likely have garnered the technical acumen to "diagnose and fix" the upgraded version of this system. Every day my unit continues to function as it was designed is reinforcement to the fact that I sent it off to get properly diagnosed and repaired.