Thread: Rodenstock Imagon 250mm with strange Compound shutter

Rodenstock Imagon 250mm with strange Compound shutter

Recently I bought a Rodenstock Imagon 250mm. It comes with strange Compound shutter. There are no speed indications on the shutter. It has numbers from 1 to 45. 1 is the longest speed, but it seems shorter than 1 second. I do not have an instrument to measure the speeds.

Has anyone seen such a shutter? any suggestions? This is what it looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linhof_tecnika_iv_imagon_IMG_7078.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	216322

Re: Rodenstock Imagon 250mm with strange Compound shutter

the numbers on the dial look like they are paper and glued on. I wonder if actual shutter speeds are under the numbers?

the numbers are paper labels indeed but there is nothing under them. I nibbled the 45 off to see. besides that the labels are smaller than a "100" or so engraving would be.

The shutter looks very similar to the shutter on a Zeiss Jena Tessa which has faint shutter speeds

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324635944152...kAAOSwAG1gp6UV

Thank you for the link. These numbers are faint and tiny indeed. So I cleaned all residue from the paper label and there it was:

Name:	compound_III_IMG_7181.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	216327
    a tiny "100". Further cleaning and a bit of black permanent marker shows it a bit better.

Name:	compound_III_IMG_7183.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	216328
    Comparing other pictures on the web tells my that the other numbers would be 75, 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 second. Manipulating the shutter has brought back more stable speeds. 1 second now seems to be really 1 second. That's good news. Probably the lens has not been used for ages. Why this shutter has this strange numbering, I don't know. I will leave it there for the moment. But it's still a mystery for me...

thank you folks for your help.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    Thank you for the link. These numbers are faint and tiny indeed. So I cleaned all residue from the paper label and there it was:
    This is one of the reasons I focus with (3x - 4x) reading spectacles instead of a loupe. It's the only way I can read something like that, and too many of my older lenses are just like that shutter.