Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice request: cutter

Re: Advice request: cutter

I started with a Rotatrim but moved to a Guillotine. Premier Photo Materials Co. Type C. I have two. One cuts film only. The other cuts paper. The film cutter has "edge guides." I used the tape that Dymo Labels were made on.(used film first but the tape was better) I also had single hole punch attached to a string nearby, to identify emulsion side. I used it to cut 8x10 to 4x5. Wore cotton glove on left hand. Anti-static cloth nearby also. Cut long dimension first. Have a few 8x10 film boxes nearby. Tape a cut out piece of cardboard to the top of box so you don't mix them up. Just "nip" the edge with the hole punch. You could use sheet of glass, film or plastic to tape to the top of cutter. The cotton gloves are handy for pushing the film down to prevent movement when the blade comes down. They also protect you. Hope this helps. bk

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I...use a Rotatrim for paper. However, I've never been able to get a straight cut when attempting to trim 4-ply mount board with it...Do any of you cut mount board with a...Guillotine? What have your experiences been?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    MBM Kutrimmer, guillotine cutter with a clamp that cuts straight, even 4 ply mat board with ease and straight.

They hold up good over time and the blades can be re-sharpened.
    https://www.mybinding.com/brands/mbm...AaAmAqEALw_wcB...
    Thank you very much Bernice. Those look promising; I wasn't previously aware of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I just wantt to cut film, 8x10 to 4x10 and 5x8, 14x17 to 8.5x14, and 20 x 24 to 10x24 and 12x20. 1 sheet at a time as needed.
    Just an observation, unless you already have a big pile of 20x24 sheet films that you need to dispose? If not, I would really acclimatize to the cutting your own film size with smaller format first. It's not just the cutting equipment and the expense of it, but the entire logistic of handling ultra large sheet films in the dark. Technically speaking, and not saying it's not possible, it's fairly impractical to try to cut large sheet of film to size unless you have a very clean and large dedicated darkroom space. Obviously if you have to, or simply wants to, no questions here, but be prepare to deal with how to handle large sheet of film in total darkness without getting dust, greasy finger marks, kinks, crimps, buckling and scratch marks on your not so cheap film. Cutting down from 11x14 or 8x10 film is one thing, 20x24 is entirely different animal. And for the actual cutting, either the Rotatrim or the Kutrimmer will work fine, personally I prefer the Kuttrimmer because I don't have to use my hand/fingers to hold down the film when making the cut: https://www.binding101.com/mbm-kutri...0aArJ4EALw_wcB

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Just an observation, unless you already have a big pile of 20x24 sheet films that you need to dispose? If not, I would really acclimatize to the cutting your own film size with smaller format first. It's not just the cutting equipment and the expense of it, but the entire logistic of handling ultra large sheet films in the dark. Technically speaking, and not saying it's not possible, it's fairly impractical to try to cut large sheet of film to size unless you have a very clean and large dedicated darkroom space. Obviously if you have to, or simply wants to, no questions here, but be prepare to deal with how to handle large sheet of film in total darkness without getting dust, greasy finger marks, kinks, crimps, buckling and scratch marks on your not so cheap film. Cutting down from 11x14 or 8x10 film is one thing, 20x24 is entirely different animal. And for the actual cutting, either the Rotatrim or the Kutrimmer will work fine, personally I prefer the Kuttrimmer because I don't have to use my hand/fingers to hold down the film when making the cut: https://www.binding101.com/mbm-kutri...0aArJ4EALw_wcB
    Yes, thanks,
    The largest film I've handled to date is 14x17.
    I've had lith film cut in the larger sizes.

Drew Wiley

I can easily cut up to 40 inch wide material in the dark, either printing paper off rolls, or hypothetically big sheet film. I have threaded inserts precisely set at the right places in the cutting table surface, allowing exact multiple position options accepting a stainless location stop bar with matching registration holes in it, accepting nylon turn-screws. This can be repositioned in the dark if necessary. In this case, it's permanently attached and precisely square to a 42-inch wide Rototrim, but I've used the same concept on smaller scale for a Dahle guillotine cutter for sake of sheet film only.