Thread: Ross . London 6in Homocentric 1:6.3 lens

Ross . London 6in Homocentric 1:6.3 lens

I have a Ross London Homocentric 6 inch lens 1:6.3 with Bausch & Lomb shutter. 3 questions, what camera is this meant for, what is the name of the parts that are missing each side of the lens (they look like tiny cylinders), will a camera still work without these parts? Can anyone help, I am new at this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	216243

Re: Ross . London 6in Homocentric 1:6.3 lens

I suspect that it will work at T and B settings and perhaps at one other speed no matter where it is set on the dial (the pistons in the cylinders control the other speeds). Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I suspect that it will work at T and B settings and perhaps at one other speed no matter where it is set on the dial (the pistons in the cylinders control the other speeds). Try it!
    Thank you so much Chauncey I really appreciate your input.
    Regards
    Christine

Here is an original one by Bausch & Lomb:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...5e6fb5fb08.jpg

Here's one in better condition (this one made for Kodak, but basically the same shutter):

Bausch & Lomb Automat by SBA73, on Flickr

My Flickr

Smile Re: Ross . London 6in Homocentric 1:6.3 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Here is an original one by Bausch & Lomb:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...5e6fb5fb08.jpg

Here's one in better condition (this one made for Kodak, but basically the same shutter):

Bausch & Lomb Automat by SBA73, on Flickr
    Ron thank you so much for the photo, this really helps, in dad's collection there are several of these types of cameras with no lenses so I may be able to match this lens up with a camera of this type. Thanks again, Christine

The pneumatic cylinders are what times the exposure. The pistons compress the air in the cylinder and it leaks out slowly through a rather precise hole that lets the air out at a predetermined rate. I have basically the same shutter with a 300mm 8 x 10 lens in it and the shutter works fine. Without them you're pretty well limited to manually timing the exposure (B or T)

How would you avoid vibrations when you can't attatch a cable release or tube and bulb?

Thank you Jon the input you have given me is very Helpful
    Regards
    Christine

Hi Patric, Unfortunately this shutter is out of my league of knowledge, I will put it in my too hard basket for now. Thank you so much for your reply much appreciated

The Homocentric is a Double-Gauss lens with the front and rear components being symmetrical, hence the name. Similar later designs like the ICA Hekla and Meyer Aristostigmat were tweaked a bit and might perform better. The Weitwinkel Aristostigmat (wide angle) was produced for a while in East Germany after WWII and was then coated.