Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a tailboard e bay find

Re: Restoring a tailboard e bay find

That's brilliant, using the glass fiber springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    That's brilliant, using the glass fiber springs.
    The second part of the YouTube video about getting the camera back to work is up for those interested

Yes - I have seen both videos now!

Having seen your skills with lamination, I am surprised you didn’t go for making film/plate holders that utilized the existing back. My argument is the following:

You mention about perhaps having a problem with the stability of the front standard with “heavy” lenses. Unless you are aiming to
    Exceed a kilo, you won’t have any problems. But the rear standard may have a problem with your new modus operandi. The
    rotating rear standard is held firm by the equivalent of just 4 brass screw heads and is a lot more insecure than permanent fixed front
    standard. This is just good enough with the traditional door opening of the ground glass frame and the gentle positioning of the plate holder, but will show signs of wear/instability with the more violent movements of a spring back.

As you have discovered, modern plastic film holders are no longer cheap and do need a check before use. Another advantage of building your own holders is that you can make them suitable for film or glass plates and even wet plates. And for a variety or formats. In your case 4x5” and smaller.
    Below is one of my similar cameras but the 24x30cm size. Note the holders can be adapted in the blink of an eye (or the opening of a shutter!) to smaller formats - as shown.

PS. Do check the condition of the front standard/ central base plate locking mechanism as they are very prone to damage. The mold spots on the bellows won’t be active anymore and may be removable through careful cleaning.

You might find the discussion here interesting.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...r-Intrepid-4x5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8A4031CF-6A81-41BF-8EF2-C2D815934632.jpg  

Interesting points ...
    The door and ground glass (I'll be making a new ground glass screen specifically) will go back on the camera ... as I designed the spring back to allow a dual mode of operation ... either original style plate holders (I may well make some or hunt some down) -or my spring back.
    The baseplate locking slide is in perfect condition ... in fact the whole camera seems not to have had much use.
    Thanks for the link :-)

The amazing condition of many of these “reisekameras” is surprising. I have a more common 18x24cm which, apart from a few marks on the underside, is best described as NOS rather “mint”.Middle class families bought them by the thousands in the period 1890-1914 and used them for a few tourist trips and family occasions. Then there was WW1, followed by the depression (with no state welfare support) which introduced smaller formats and cheaper industrial production cameras, whilst the genuine enthusiasts got into leica, rolleiflex etc. and put “reisekameras” into long term storage!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The amazing condition of many of these “reisekameras” is surprising. I have a more common 18x24cm which, apart from a few marks on the underside, is best described as NOS rather “mint”.Middle class families bought them by the thousands in the period 1890-1914 and used them for a few tourist trips and family occasions. Then there was WW1, followed by the depression (with no state welfare support) which introduced smaller formats and cheaper industrial production cameras, whilst the genuine enthusiasts got into leica, rolleiflex etc. and put “reisekameras” into long term storage!
    It's ironic then that my reisekamera is currently nestling on my shelves next to my upstart 1938 Leica IIIb ... and at the moment getting more pampering.

Well with the back made ... I turned my attentions to the lens slide/board and built an adaptor board to take my MPP lens boards so I can swap my compatible Fujinon lenses easily.
    This was a trial fit ... so the board isn't liquored yet ... 150mm works a treat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0544.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	216558
    Now for the big guns!

Name:	C7041AE2-353F-4669-808F-9B3F15C8C3ED.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	216559
    I will post a video about the lens board project on my channel at the weekend.
    I can't wait to put film through the old girl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0544.jpg   C7041AE2-353F-4669-808F-9B3F15C8C3ED.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TPL_London View Post
    ……
    ... so the board isn't liquored yet ...

…….Now for the big guns!
    ….
    I can't wait to put film through the old girl.
    Any news - it appears you may be distracted by other interests!

Well putting film through the old girl was a fair old distraction in itself, along with finding a method to develop 5x7 and indeed scan the resulting negatives successfully. This was my first 5x7 image shot with the new back, and the 150mm Fujinon SW that normally resides on my MPP 5X4

Name:	Hollow 5-Edit-2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	218572
    Another

Name:	Hollow pond.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	218573

Both images shot on Fomapan 200, developed in Ilfotec HC using a Stearman Press 10X8 tank and scanned on an old but very capable Epson 4990 Photo (see my vid on that one)

Not doing anything complicated yet ... just getting the feel of the format and the huge negatives. I also picked up a whole stack of Eastman Kodak wooden film holders from a junk shop for peanuts, which after a good clean has given me 10 usable film holders.