Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a tailboard e bay find

Restoring a tailboard e bay find

Took a chance on this old tailboard 13x18cm 'travel camera' on e bay a few weeks ago ... getting it for a silly cheap £60.00
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1788.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	216208
    The bellows are in perfect condition so I decided to make a conversion spring back to fit modern 5x7 film holders.

Name:	_DSC1801.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	216209
    I already have an MPP Microtecnical 5x4 but I couldn't resist the lure of a bigger negative still! I also picked up a huge box of old large format related bits and bobs for £20, and in that was a front of lens shutter that only needed a bit of TLC to work perfectly. I intend to pop that on the front of a process lens I have kicking about and start from there.

Name:	_DSC1802.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	216212
    I'm going to be showing the whole spring back build on my YouTube channel for those interested.

Name:	_DSC1799.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	216210
    I'm Ash by the way ... from London UK

Re: Restoring a tailboard e bay find

Nice looking camera!
    I recently moved up to 5x7 myself, and I can say it's quickly becoming my preferred format. Nice size to contact print with and overall easier to dial in and get a good shot than an 8x10 (at least in my experience).

Foamer

I shoot 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, and some 9x12. Have to admit my favorite is 5x7. Not too big, not too little--it's just right.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Welcome

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TPL_London View Post
    Took a chance on this old tailboard 13x18cm 'travel camera' on e bay a few weeks ago ... getting it for a silly cheap £60.00

Name:	_DSC1788.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	216208
    The bellows are in perfect condition so I decided to make a conversion spring back to fit modern 5x7 film holders.

Name:	_DSC1801.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	216209
    I already have an MPP Microtecnical 5x4 but I couldn't resist the lure of a bigger negative still! I also picked up a huge box of old large format related bits and bobs for £20, and in that was a front of lens shutter that only needed a bit of TLC to work perfectly. I intend to pop that on the front of a process lens I have kicking about and start from there.

Name:	_DSC1802.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	216212
    I'm going to be showing the whole spring back build on my YouTube channel for those interested.

Name:	_DSC1799.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	216210
    I'm Ash by the way ... from London UK
    Tin Can

Today I spent some workshop time and got a home brewed spring back functioning - if not pretty yet. Pics to follow.
    Found an old advert online for the company who made the shutter in the above pic -

Name:	Im1957PA-TDay.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	216232
    Mine is dated 1943

Bring back the good old days when such items were more readily available. They would cost more, but maybe not relatively.

The most interesting item in the SA advert is the bottom right “combined iris lens clamp/shutter”. This is something I have never heard of before. It must have been quite an engineering feat, considering the varying distance between the lens flange thread and the end of the barrel. Thomas s. Day was only the Uk importer of this shutter - you will find the real maker as initials at the 9 o’clock position!

I suppose the reasonable price is due to the absence of the ubiquitous set of 3 double plate/film holders. Good luck with the conversion. “Turn the bellows” type 13x18 continental tailboard bellows are always heavy duty due to having to stand up to the frequent switch between portrait and landscape modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The most interesting item in the SA advert is the bottom right “combined iris lens clamp/shutter”. This is something I have never heard of before. It must have been quite an engineering feat, considering the varying distance between the lens flange thread and the end of the barrel. Thomas s. Day was only the Uk importer of this shutter - you will find the real maker as initials at the 9 o’clock position!

I suppose the reasonable price is due to the absence of the ubiquitous set of 3 double plate/film holders. Good luck with the conversion. “Turn the bellows” type 13x18 continental tailboard bellows are always heavy duty due to having to stand up to the frequent switch between portrait and landscape modes.
    it's then ironic as I think the reasonable price was due to the camera being advertised as a 'bellows' not a camera!

The back is made and working smoothly ... I'm going to post a YouTube video showing how I built it. The springs are glass fibre - well if it's good enough for competition archery bows ...

Name:	20210529_120034756_iOS.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	216262
    The next job is to make the clips to fit the Intrepid ground glass and shim it to the exact film plane ... then work starts on lens mounts.

Good thing they did not call it an accordian

Quote Originally Posted by TPL_London View Post
    it's then ironic as I think the reasonable price was due to the camera being advertised as a 'bellows' not a camera!
    Tin Can