Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The things I don't know... :) Help (Crazy lens movements; lens choices; bellows optio

Re: The things I don't know... :) Help (Crazy lens movements; lens choices; bellows o

@Tin Can - probably the nicest thing anyone has every said. I can die now. Thanks

Re: The things I don't know... :) Help (Crazy lens movements; lens choices; bellows o

Quote Originally Posted by RITCHIE View Post

*Multiplication - are you guys saying I can use my current 50mm (Nikkor f2.8) with a 7x multiplier and fill more than 330mm (8x10 coverage)?
    no, 7x is the crop factor/multiplier between 35 mm and 8x10. applies to focal length and f-stop. i assume you're talking about a teleconverter or something.

maltfalc - yes I am, sorry for the confusion. I understand what you are saying. Thanks.

(Shrek)

I do a lot of crazy camera movements (pulling zoom while moving). Do you think I can recreate this on an 8x10 camera with floating bellows?

AFAIK there are no 'zoom' large format lenses, only varifocal. Meaning changing focal length changes the flange to film distance, so you would have to coordinate racking the bellows with turning the lens. If you put stops on your focus rail, I guess it's possible. But varifocal lenses, esp for 8x10, are uncommon and usually crap.

But there are no limits to how a view camera can be used, and painting with light while changing lenses, aperture or focal point is certainly possible. Seeing your photos, you will quickly find new ways to 'see' with a large format camera, I'm quite sure.

If you really don't want to use Photoshop any longer, delete the program from your computer.

Jody_S -- yes, rotating f-stops was a dream, but probably a super nightmare

Jim Noel -- I'm a coward who's been living a lie.

I found a camera rental store in Vancouver:
    https://www.beauphoto.com/rentals/re...-96a5f317-c40d

To rent for a 1st test run/get a feel for an 8x10 camera:
    Cambo 8x10
    Caltar II N 360mm f6.8
    Tripod

*I need to get film for this camera, which I don't know how to do... Help?
    Any recommendations? I know nothing, so anything is helpful

This is a nice option to get used to just feeling the 8x10 before purchasing.

Ian Martin

Quote Originally Posted by RITCHIE View Post
    I need to get film for this camera, which I don't know how to do...
    I can't speak to shipping costs to BC, but you can get 8x10 sheet film from online retailers here in the US like B&H and Freestyle Photo.
    Unless you're speaking more about film emulsions than actual procurement of the film? In which case, judging by your flickr, you'd probably enjoy something saturated and contrasty. Basically any slide film sold today would fit the bill - Fuji Provia / Velvia, or Kodak Ektachrome for example. A color negative film like Kodak Ektar would also work.
    Either way, I hope your wallet is well-fed... 8x10 film isn't inexpensive.
    Also, I don't know much about the Cambo monorails, but before renting, I'd recommend making sure the front standard could be easily unmounted from the rail to do the freeform swooping movements you described earlier.

Beau in Vancouver is super helpful (Nichole is omniscient) but they only sell Ilford and that's too expensive to play with. In Canada order from Argentix ( https://www.argentix.ca/BWSheet.php?=SID&mqry=sp01.4 ) He's in Quebec, but just as cheep as Freestyle and no Customs. Customs is a killer. He's great. Look at the Fomapan. Also, Anthony at Camera Traders in Victoria is great, but no one has the film that Argentix has and he ships fast. I don't use the express post, but that should be faster. Beau has some great monorail cameras cheep. Get one and pretend it's a rifle. I got a terible 4x5 with a lens and 6 holders for $50.00 last year at Beau. That's less than rental! 8x10 gets pricey.
    Note: i knew the 4x5 was terrible and I've used it for the cheep shot challenge. It's great ... and terrible. Not slagging Beau... for $50 (Canadian) it's like a box camera to play with!
    Dean Lastoria

woodlandserenade - I used to shoot Kodak Ektachrome 100 (35mm - beautiful blues, well balanced!!!), but probably would like Velvia (juicy colour) for this new project. I see it at B&H
    - You are correct, the Cambo will not be the camera I need to achieve the results I want. It will probably be used very gently in my studio, just to get a feel for the process. However, it's the only 8x10 that I can find for rent...

Dean - nice you're from BC! HI! Thanks for the tip (Argentix) - I used to live in Montreal for 5yrs (Philosophy BA, Concordia). Now I think I should just visit Beau Photo and gawk.

I wonder if anyone has access to 8x10 Slide film in Canada?