Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How the Linhof Technika became Super…

Re: How the Linhof Technika became Super…

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Do you know what they changed in the 5x7 V when it became the 5x7 V-b?
    I can not figure out where I pulled the V-B from.... but I have been unable to locate any mention of this designation so I must have it wrong. There were some minor mostly cosmetic changes to the V but as far as I can tell no B designation. possibly I transposed it from the 6x9 V which had a Vb model...

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Do you know what they changed in the 5x7 V when it became the 5x7 V-b?

I found an old catalogue last year that had a price for that electro-optical rangefinder. It was the same price as the camera. No wonder it wasn't a big seller at the time. Nowadays an electro-optical system would probably be fairly easy to integrate in the camera at relatively low cost, but only if the volumes were relatively high (which won't ever be happening).

The Technika 70 is truly a marvel, but it's odd that the viewfinder only works in portrait mode. It's also odd that they dumped it for the more conventional side mount rangefinder only. I wonder what the logic was there, or if there was some other functional flaw that plagued the 70.
    It didn’t become a b. The SuperTechnika 23B did become one. The 57 didn’t.

I hope Santa leaves a Linhof under my tree.

we should all be so lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I hope Santa leaves a Linhof under my tree.

I'm wondering, how did you become so well informed about Linhof cameras? Are you an enthusiast, or did you have a more formal relationship with the Linhof Company? For example, were you ever employed by Lihnof?

I have a couple of questions . . .

Clearly, rangefinder focusing was central to Linhof designs along the way. To what extent did the designers view the Technica to be a tripod camera that offered movements, versus a handheld, rangefinder based camera.

Was it ever intended by the designers that camera movements would be employed, while hand holding the cameras?

To what extent did the designers view the Lihnof cameras as suitable for wide-angle photography? I owned a Technika IV 6x9 camera decades ago, and it's design, with the view finder that extended a little beyond the main body of the camera, did more to inhibit wide-angle photography (by limiting rise), versus facilitate it.

I didn't see mention of the flap on top of later Technika cameras. Was this introduced along with the Master cameras? While it's a comparatively simple design upgrade, it was also rather a consequential upgrade. I've wondered why this simple feature wasn't offered on earlier cameras.

From my perspective, I would never handhold a 4x5 camera, and I would likely never use the rangefinder on a Technika. I'd probably be more likely to strip it off as adding to the weight and bulk of the camera. I've always seen Linhof cameras as, durable, well made view cameras, that close to a compact, easily transportable package.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I'm wondering, how did you become so well informed about Linhof cameras? Are you an enthusiast, or did you have a more formal relationship with the Linhof Company? For example, were you ever employed by Lihnof?

Clearly, rangefinder focusing was central to Linhof designs along the way. To what extent did the designers view the Technica to be a tripod camera that offered movements, versus a handheld, rangefinder based camera.

Was it ever intended by the designers that camera movements would be employed, while hand holding the cameras?

To what extent did the designers view the Lihnof cameras as suitable for wide-angle photography? I owned a Technika IV 6x9 camera decades ago, and it's design, with the view finder that extended a little beyond the main body of the camera, did more to inhibit wide-angle photography (by limiting rise), versus facilitate it.

I didn't see mention of the flap on top of later Technika cameras. Was this introduced along with the Master cameras? While it's a comparatively simple design upgrade, it was also rather a consequential upgrade.

From my perspective, I would never handhold a 4x5 camera, and I would likely never use the rangefinder on a Technika. Rather, I'd be more likely to strip it off as adding to the weight and bulk of the camera. I've always seen Linhof cameras as, durable, well made cameras, that close to a compact, transportable package.
    Movements are not designed to be handheld on a Technika.

The top flap started with the Master.

Wide angle is much more convenient on the Master as well as the V. It is most convenient on the 2000 and 3000. The 45 are much more convenient for wide angle then the 69 models.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post

I didn't see mention of the flap on top of later Technika cameras. Was this introduced along with the Master cameras? While it's a comparatively simple design upgrade, it was also rather a consequential upgrade. I've wondered why this simple feature wasn't offered on earlier cameras.

From my perspective, I would never handhold a 4x5 camera, and I would likely never use the rangefinder on a Technika. I'd probably be more likely to strip it off as adding to the weight and bulk of the camera. I've always seen Linhof cameras as, durable, well made view cameras, that close to a compact, easily transportable package.
    Myself I am just a Linhof Fanboy. Our Mr. Bob Salomon is likely our best resource, he worked closely with them and is friendly and always helpful. My own knowledge comes from listening to Bob and others, as well a lots of reading of every thing Linhof I could get my hands on.

The rangefinder was a big part of the post-war Linhof strategy. The ability to use the Technika models as a hand camera was a major driving factor in its design, and many photographers using it as such were featured in the Grossbild magazine. The rangefinder could only be used without movements in play. With movements in use the GG was needed for composition and focus, the Technika camera if fully capable of being used hand-held using the GG however I would suspect most photographers arms are not capable.

Wide angle lenses have really evolved a lot since WWII. 40's-early 50's the 90 angulon was the best wide option and by the Late 50's the 65mm Angulon and 53mm Biogon arrived but had no coverage for movement so rise was not an issue. by the mid 60's we start to see wide lenses show up that have enough coverage to allow movements. The camera was gradually improved to use these new wide lenses, first we see the rise knob made into a jack lever, and then in 1972 the master with cut flap shows up. by the 70's - 90's we get some really wide 4x5 lenses like the 47mm super angulon. Linhof makes the MT2000 & 3000 to allow these. The technika has had to adapt to the increasing wide lens options but it was not a primary design consideration when the Technika IV of 1956 was designed and that is the camera who's design the MT of today is directly derived from.

Im not sure but the EMS system was also likely designed with wide lenses in mind, possibly heavy though which would not help hand holdability...

The EMS was really quite light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The EMS was really quite light.
    That is good to know. Looking over the brochure it looks like hand holding was intended...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50...rvejodhi83ULzA

Bob it must have been a mind blowing system when it showed up in 1995. Almost like something from science fiction, it is a shame that they could not get it to be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    That is good to know. Looking over the brochure it looks like hand holding was intended...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50...rvejodhi83ULzA

Bob it must have been a mind blowing system when it showed up in 1995. Almost like something from science fiction, it is a shame that they could not get it to be a success.
    It was, but it was pretty big since it was the height and the depth of the body plus it’s height. In addition there was an IR receiver that fit in a cutout on the top and was positioned inside the camera body plus a sender that plugged into the top of the front standard.