Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Deardorff?

Drew Wiley

Re: Boston Deardorff?

That's why some have switched to black walnut. But even that needs to be properly cured, cut, and sealed if it's going to be dimensionally stable. At least the drying of walnut goes rather fast, instead of taking a couple decades like real Caribbean "(Hondouras") mahogany. That was once used that for masons level due to its superb dimensional stability. After that was gone, the knockoffs using lesser mahoganies would warp or bend in a matter of weeks in a humid or moist environment. So next, special laminated woods were used - much better - it took about a whole two month more for them to warp! It got downright silly when they got equipped with electronics level and angle sensors advertised for being accurate within a degree, when the level itself was so bent that it looked like it had been used for a crowbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I needed some. my source was to buy (high) quality mahogany furniture from the late 1940s. Right now have the option to acquire a bedroom set sold around 1949, but resourcing the wood from this very fine bedroom set is bothering me.

Perhaps you should sleep on it before you make a decision.

Drew Wiley

Nowadays it's possible to develop hybrid hardwoods that are not only sustainable and grow fast in otherwise marginalized previously cut areas, but that have very predictable properties in terms of consistency and dimensional stability. I ran picture frame mouldings from one of these products that was engineered as a substitute for mahogany. The only problem with respect to camera usage per se is that it is very dense and heavy (sinks in water), and eats up carbide tooling rather fast. But it does prove what is possible. Likewise, I built a kitchen using a sustainable substitute for African mahogany plywood that is almost indistinguishable if given just a tiny slip of penetrating transoxide colorant, which, unlike dye stains, doesn't fade. Then there are these newer laminates of carbon fiber and lighter hardwoods like Chamonix uses.

IMHO the world would be much better off if Laban made more baby Deardorffs to learn the trade and inherit the company
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The long general discussion about Catlabs has been moved to its own thread in the Buyer/Seller Advisories subforum. Further discussion here of their Deardorff offering is fine.