Thread: Anybody removed the carbon fiber baseplate of Chamonix 45F1 from the focus assembly?

Eric Woodbury

Anybody removed the carbon fiber baseplate of Chamonix 45F1 from the focus assembly?

There are 4 little flush screws with 2 mm socket heads on the bottom at the front of the baseplate that I'd like to remove. Hugo told me they are removable but they have thread locker on them.

2mm is 0.0787". A 2mm hex driver ranges from 0.076 to 0.078". All too small. So I ground one of my own at 0.081". It fits perfectly, but the locker is stronger than the stainless steel and rounds out the hole. I got one to move about 30 degrees. Obviously, I don't want to put a torch to it. Tried WD40, but of course that does nothing against thread locker.

My machinist suggests to cut slots in the screws with a Dremel tool, but I'm hesitant. Probably cut the carbon fiber doing that, but maybe that's my best bet.

Thanks for the help.

-ew-

Re: Anybody removed the carbon fiber baseplate of Chamonix 45F1 from the focus assemb

I used to use a soldering iron, resting on the screw, to heat up the screw and liquefy the thread glue.
    It's precision thread glue melting, but very slow. It may be better for your application than what I do now, which is to immerse the part in recently-boiled water for 5 minutes.

Re: Anybody removed the carbon fiber baseplate of Chamonix 45F1 from the focus assemb

Acetone is usually used to free thread lok, but it might affect the surrounding material, but isopropyl alcohol could be tried...

I have used a small, hi-wattage soldering iron for small screw loosening... Heat to hot, then wrench while still hot...

Steve K

Eric Woodbury

I just tried the soldering iron. Heated the little screw until it would melt solder on it. Nothing. Tomorrow, I will heat it for a longer time.

A tip I learned from a machinist. When you apply the correct bit to your screw, apply some pressure in the tight direction first. Then begin the loosening. Back up,as you go. In your case, contacting Hugo Zhang for advice is advisable.