Thread: Afascinating book on Life's photojournalism

Afascinating book on Life's photojournalism

For those with a background or interest in photojournalism, I recommend a book I'm reading, found in betterworldbooks.com's extensive selection of photo books.

The book is "Life Photographers -- What They Saw" by former Life photographer John Loengard (published 1998), a compilation of edited transcriptions of his interviews of other former Life staff photographers conducted in the early '90s. Of the 88, a number already deceased, he was able to interview 44.

The interviews offer an intriguing view into Life's operation and significant background to coverage of a number of historic events.

For any who, like me, are also engaged in historic interviews to be left for future generations, it will be gratifying that he took the time to do this.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Afascinating book on Life's photojournalism

Loengard's book, Age of Silver: Encounters with Great Photographers, is a great one too.

Thanks, Pieter, I'll find a copy!
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

I've had a copy of "What They Saw" for probably 20 years now. Fascinating stories from a world quite different from today's.
    Anyone who follows this forum will find it worthwhile to own!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've had a copy of "What They Saw" for probably 20 years now. Fascinating stories from a world quite different from today's.
    Anyone who follows this forum will find it worthwhile to own!
    When the founding Chairman was retireing the head of their photo library came up writhing a commermative book of the greatest prints of the first 50 years. Each print 11x14 and laminated back to back and each pair wrapped in a layer of Ademco. These were original prints fro the original negs..
    Shots by Eisenstaedt, Morse, Bourke White, et al. Since I lived in the same town Ralph Morse served as the delivery man . Very interesting and a lot of fun. 2 books were made, one for the Chirman and one for the companies library,

Bob, that's an interesting story. I looked up Ademco, guessing it to be some kind of transparent self-adhesive wrap, but couldn't find it.
    The closest I ever got to Life was knowing Eisenstadt's nephew at boarding school as I was getting interested in photography, and former editor Richard Pollard buying our house in CT after my parents died, late '60s. I was invited to sit down with him once there to talk about photography, and that was exciting, but I don't recall much of it now.
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Where can you see some pictures from the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Bob, that's an interesting story. I looked up Ademco, guessing it to be some kind of transparent self-adhesive wrap, but couldn't find it.
    The closest I ever got to Life was knowing Eisenstadt's nephew at boarding school as I was getting interested in photography, and former editor Richard Pollard buying our house in CT after my parents died, late '60s. I was invited to sit down with him once there to talk about photography, and that was exciting, but I don't recall much of it now.
    Ademco was the inventor of the dry mounting press and tissue. They developed a plastic double sided adhesive for mounting in a hard bed press and a plastic adhesive overlay to protect and modify print surfaces.

Drew Wiley

Some of those Ademco presses might have served as hot-stamping steel forges, they were so damn heavy. There's a reason why Seal predominated afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Some of those Ademco presses might have served as hot-stamping steel forges, they were so damn heavy. There's a reason why Seal predominated afterwards.
    I had to fly with one when I sold them.