Thread: Collecting imagery, Value of images, web site

Collecting imagery, Value of images, web site

Is there a suggested web site/s for gaining information on the current "sales" of photographic imagery, the going "market" for such. I am not talking about the latest imagery at a Sotheby's site or what is being shown at MoMA, but for lesser tiered images. I am aware of caveat emptor and buy what one likes, however, I am searching for more than that. Trends, values, curator's evaluations and such.

For example, one could go to Amazon or such and get information/price points on a known photographer---say Karl Blossfeldt, the German photographer from the turn of the century, or perhaps a Laura Gilpin image but those price points mentioned on this site are either totally upper end or questionable.

But I would think there would be informative sites regarding the sales and purchases of the ongoing photo market as well as appraisals of imagery.

Thank you for your input & insight.

Raymond

Re: Collecting imagery, Value of images, web site

It depends on cultural context.
    Governmental institutions in EU has absolute cultural patronage monopoly and rules of the game has nothing common with market sanity. Distortion of suply - demand realm is enormous, so looking for trustworthy data is challenging.
    There are some auction homes selling fine art prints but you must check results, I never saw analysis on this topics.

Re: Collecting imagery, Value of images, web site

Hey Raymond,
    I often use Barnebys.com to get an idea of the value of art. They have made the search filtering options a bit worse lately but they are workable. I do not have a lot of experience pricing photographic prints but there is generally enough data to get an idea of the value of different editions of traditional art prints. They index quite a few auction houses and also some online marketplaces such as catawiki so you should not be limited to those high end auction house. And it is free so it might be worth a try?