Thread: New starter from Australia

New starter from Australia

Hi team

First off, thanks to you all for the information here, I've been reading for a while now, trying to figure out my first steps to take with LF.

I'm new to photography, having spent most of last year taking my first images through telescopes for hours and nights on end. My health really took a hit with so many sleepless nights and young children, so a couple of months ago I changed direction and dug out a couple of old 35mm film cameras that we used to have on a bookshelf 15 or so years ago. Surprisingly, they worked, and worked well, and I was hooked. 2 months later, here I am, developing and scanning black and white and colour, feeling a bit restricted by the small bellows on my Mamiya Press, but also feeling ok about that because I've just unpacked and tested my new (to me, of course) Horseman L45.

I really ummed and ahhed about field vs rail, and was quite set on a field camera until I saw that this camera (and i suppose many rails) really are quite transportable in a backpack if they can fold flat. The camera is in great condition, even the paint, and has what looks like a minty Schneider Kreuznach 135mm lens to get going.

Coming from (a short time with) the Press camera, the shutter and aperture arangement feel familiar, as does the darkslide. What doesn't feel familiar is the seemingly rough insertion and removal of the film holder! I might start looking at a different head if things don't improve with a two-screw plate.

Anyway, I'm in Canberra, Australia. Excited to get out.

Re: New starter from Australia

Welcome

Horseman are wonderful
    Tin Can

Welcome to the forums, John. Please post some images, once you feel comfortable with your new camera.

Welcome from sunny Melbourne, John!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Thanks very much, guys!

I got out for an afternoon of shooting yesterday and have popped some images in the landscape and architecture threads.

Overall, I ended up using a lot more movements than I thought I would and the camera really packed into a small backpack easily.

I'm really looking forward to getting out again soon!
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Welcome!

Welcome aboard! From someone who is also a veteran of sleepless astrophotography nights.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Welcome also from Canberra. There are LF users in the ACT, but I'm not aware of any casual or organised groups. I mostly work alone, although I do have a couple of friends who are occasional LF photographers.

Welcome!
    I shall have to return to Australia some day...though more likely thru the images of others.
    Enjoy!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China