Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few advise before I dive !

A few advise before I dive !

Hi folks,

I'm on my way to dive into 4x5 photography. I'll buy an Intrepid camera as it is light weight and inexpensive. So I won't hesitate to carry it in a back pack and go shooting outside (landscape / cityscape). I plan to first buy a wide angle lens and found a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon mounted on a Compur 1 electronic shutter. The lens seems clean (no scratch, no fungus, no fog). It is a version from 1970 (looked into the schneider serial numbers database) so it should be a single coated version of the lens if I'm not mistaken. The shutter also seems in good shape. The seller is an online shop from which I've already bought once. They seem to be trust worthy. They offer a 6 monthes warranty on the lens / shutter. The price is surprisingly not too high compared to japan prices on ebay.

I know the shutter needs a battery which is not easily found. I also know this battery can easily be replaced by other newer batteries. So it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

My concern is that I won't receive the Intrepid before 6 / 8 weeks. So if I buy the lens now I won't be able to quickly test it.

What else should I check before I buy the lens ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA_90_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	215975

Name:	SA_90_2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	215976

Many thanks for your help,
    Daniel

Re: A few advise before I dive !

I suggest you buy a standard spring Copal, all black from a known seller
    Tin Can

Thanks for the suggestion Tin Can ! I haven't planned a budget for a second shutter, but I will consider this option with care :-)

Daniel

90mm are not rare lenses. And since you’re buying online anyway, Why not find one in a copal shutter like Tin Can suggested?
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

What Tin Can and others said. And not a second shutter, a different lens properly in a normal (clockwork) shutter.

90mm lenses are so common they can be hard to even sell here, where most already have equipment! You should be able to find a nice f/8 lens (smaller and lighter) for $200-400 depending on brand and condition. If you get one in an older silver-ring Copal 0 shutter, it can be just as good, but some of these seem to be needing service if they haven't been cared for over their years. I have bought several 90mm lenses in these older shutters for $100-150, but YMMV.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Lenicolas,

I may have misunderstood Tin Can. I thought he was saying to buy a copal shutter without a lens in order to have a spare. I understand that Copal shutters have a better reputation than other brands. So buying one lens mounted on copal would be a better choice.

The price is 280 € including VAT from a local online shop. So no need to deal with added taxes (20% VAT + ~5% import taxes) when buying from Japan, UK or the USA (I'm in France). The lens is clean, the dealer did test the shutter and provides new batteries. There is a 6 monthes warranty. 90mm f5.6 Super Angulons often go in the 400$ - 500$ range on ebay. I think it is a fair deal. The drawback being the weight as the Super Angulon is heavier than a Fujinon 90mm.

Am I missing something ?

Daniel

Corran,

you are right, I can easily find nice 90mm lenses on ebay in the 200-400$ range. However, as they mostly are from Japan, I will have import taxes and VAT applied. I understand that importing in the USA is cheaper as VAT and import taxes are only applied over a specific amount (I thing I have read 400 $). Corret me if I'm wrong.

Daniel

Wasn't sure of your location as you did not specify.

Most here do not use electronic shutters. Some do, and they seem to be fine with them, but personally I like my clockwork shutters and wouldn't want an electronic one unless it was an absolute necessity for a given lens. I understand import taxes and such can be burdensome, but I personally would pass on that one. It's still an older lens, and for that money even with VAT you'd likely be able to get a newer Super Angulon f8 in the black Copal as mentioned earlier. And since you don't have your camera yet, there's no rush, right?

Also realize the aperture "stick" and battery container are not common for most users and may have some issue with the Intrepid's front standard or rise knobs. I can't say for sure, but I thought I'd mention that.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by danielha View Post
    Lenicolas,

I may have misunderstood Tin Can. I thought he was saying to buy a copal shutter without a lens in order to have a spare. I understand that Copal shutters have a better reputation than other brands. So buying one lens mounted on copal would be a better choice.

The price is 280 € including VAT from a local online shop. So no need to deal with added taxes (20% VAT + ~5% import taxes) when buying from Japan, UK or the USA (I'm in France). The lens is clean, the dealer did test the shutter and provides new batteries. There is a 6 monthes warranty. 90mm f5.6 Super Angulons often go in the 400$ - 500$ range on ebay. I think it is a fair deal. The drawback being the weight as the Super Angulon is heavier than a Fujinon 90mm.

Am I missing something ?

Daniel
    I know nothing about the advantages or disadvantages of battery operated shutters, but having dealt recently with insane import taxes after buying products from both Japan and the US, I totally understand your logic. You seem to have done your homework thoroughly. I'd go for it. The 6 months warranty protects you somewhat, and you can still resell the lens later if you end up not liking it.

Too bad you don't already have the camera, as sometimes local sellers will allow a one or two-week tryout on used lenses (in the sense of you buy it but can bring it back after a week if you have time to develop your film and realize there is a problem with the lens).

Quote Originally Posted by danielha View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm on my way to dive into 4x5 photography. I'll buy an Intrepid camera as it is light weight and inexpensive. So I won't hesitate to carry it in a back pack and go shooting outside (landscape / cityscape). I plan to first buy a wide angle lens and found a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon mounted on a Compur 1 electronic shutter. The lens seems clean (no scratch, no fungus, no fog). It is a version from 1970 (looked into the schneider serial numbers database) so it should be a single coated version of the lens if I'm not mistaken. The shutter also seems in good shape. The seller is an online shop from which I've already bought once. They seem to be trust worthy. They offer a 6 monthes warranty on the lens / shutter. The price is surprisingly not too high compared to japan prices on ebay.

I know the shutter needs a battery which is not easily found. I also know this battery can easily be replaced by other newer batteries. So it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

My concern is that I won't receive the Intrepid before 6 / 8 weeks. So if I buy the lens now I won't be able to quickly test it.

What else should I check before I buy the lens ?

Name:	SA_90_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	215975

Name:	SA_90_2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	215976

Many thanks for your help,
    Daniel
    How does the seller know the shutter is in good shape if he doesn't have a battery to test it?