Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filter dilemma for 82mm solution

Re: Filter dilemma for 82mm solution

Adam, From your OP it sounds like you've already purchased the 115mm Grandagon N. I also standardized (initially) on 67mm filters for my MF and LF kit, but then had to add 82mm filters to use with certain other lenses that found their way into my kit. However, did you ever consider the 110mm Super-Symmar XL instead of the 115mm? The SSXL uses 67mm filters, and is an outstanding lens overall - 'just saying.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Adam, From your OP it sounds like you've already purchased the 115mm Grandagon N. I also standardized (initially) on 67mm filters for my MF and LF kit, but then had to add 82mm filters to use with certain other lenses that found their way into my kit. However, did you ever consider the 110mm Super-Symmar XL instead of the 115mm? The SSXL uses 67mm filters, and is an outstanding lens overall - 'just saying.
    Ok guys here’s an update….but first.

JMO, yes I looked at the 110mm and ruled it out on account of cost and the fact that I already have a 90mm f/6.8. I thought those would be too close. Anyway, I also was able to get a green line 115mm from a very good source, so it kinda worked out that way.

After reading your comments I decided to not try and save a few bucks and just went with the Heliopan. I ordered the #8, #15 and #25. Only the #8 is in stock and who knows how long the others will take, but at least I’ll have something. I wish it was the #15 that was in stock, that’s my most used filter.

Thanks all for the help!!

Adam
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

Note on using filters on the front of the Schneider 110mm f5.6 SSXL, the front element is REALLY close to the top of the filter threads. If the filter glass does not have sufficient distance to the front element of the 110mm f5.6 SSXL, there will be contact between filter glass and front element. Not good at all.

Bernice

The grandagon 115/6,8 is a superb lens, one of my prefered ones. The filter solution I use for my largeformat system is 105mm and 86mm glass filters. 86mm for lenses from 49 to 67mm diameter and 105mm for lenses from 72 to 105mm diameter. Mainly for 3 reasons;
    A. If you spend your bucks in top quality lenses, buy the same quality filters.
    B. 100x100mm resin filters are prone to reflections.
    C. As Bernice says, many glass filters don´t have sufficient distance to the front element of large format lenses. The use of 105mm glass filters with a steep up ring allows the filter to have sufficient distance to the front element of the lens and avoid any possible vigneting problems if you make extreme movements with wide angle lenses. WhenI was a novice in LF I purchased 67mm filters for my first lens, a Grandagon N 210/5,6, and I marked the front element the very first day I used the filters.
    Of course I use 100x100mm filters, just for the filters that I use seldom or for the ones not available in glass, but to avoid reflections, I use them behind the lenses, attached to the back of a Sinar DB Shutter.
    Any glass multicoated filter from Heliopan, B+W or Hoya will be an excellent option.

UPDATE:
    I just received the first of three 82mm filters. They #8 yellow Heliopan happened to be in stock.

I'll have to wait about 6 weeks to get the more important #15 and #25 filters. That's unfortunate, but, considering the temps in the Phoenix area are hitting 90 degrees, I'll be putting the Arca-Swiss into hebernation pretty soon. I'm going to try to get it out and up into the mountains this summer, but even then it's still pretty warm under the cloth!!
    Anything in life worth having is worth sharing.

I thought through a similar dilemma and finally decided on 77mm as a standard. But at that time, I had a RB67 outfit, which uses 77mm filters. Otherwise, I might have gone with 82mm as my standard. I have step up (to 77mm) adapter rings for all my smaller lenses. Plus, 77mm filters abound and tend to be reasonably priced.

Here are a couple specific cases. The multi-coated 120mm Super Angulon uses 82mm filters. I've long had the single-coated 121mm Super Angulon, which is 77mm, so I decided not to upgrade that focal length. (You could consider this lens, versus the 115mm.) I think that it performs well on color or B&W, and it can cover 8x10. (On axis.) The 82mm would have been convenient for my 620mm Repro Claron, which has that filter size. (I'm surprised it isn't larger.) This lens is used for 8x10 black and white, so I don't mind using gels. Instead of a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon (82mm filter size), I decided on the more convenient Nikon 90mm f8 SW, which has the same 235mm image circle and takes 67mm filters.

Had I gone with an 82mm standard, my favorite deep yellow multi-coated, Schott glass #12 filter would have been hard to find.(But, probably not impossible.)

And after all that, along comes a 90mm Super Angulon f5.6 XL lens that I purchased for quite a reasonable price on the Forum. It has a 95mm filter size. So, I think that I'll use rear mounted filters for this lens.

Drew Wiley

You might get a significant performance loss with rear-mounted filters. That topic itself has been discussed a number of times. Most lenses aren't optimized for that kind of configuration. Filters belong in front. Besides, you might run out of real estate back there, bellows-wise, especially with significant rise.

For any filters 77mm or larger (well also 62mm) I go to eBay and buy NIkon, Canon, B&W, or Pentax brand used/pre-owned filters. They are high quality filters but because they may be 20-40 years old they command lower prices. Pentax brand - (made for their 67 SLR) is definitely the best bargain out there. Canon brand - the rarest. Nikon brand - the most out there so a lot to choose from, prices vary a lot. B&W - seem to be priced as real bargains or priced like new ones. I never buy one with any scratches on it - a scratch may be described as minor but that's a relatively subjective term. 95mm size seems to be the best bargains - step up rings are your friends! Live in Connecticut and only buy from the continental USA. Have bought internationally and both times the filters were shipped in only padded envelopes... Fortunately (actually amazingly) they arrived unbroken. Took me a few months but acquired my set/collection of 95mm filters for the price of buying one new filter.