Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Process Lenses for Landscape? 24" RDA? APO-Nikkor 610/9?

Long Process Lenses for Landscape? 24" RDA? APO-Nikkor 610/9?

Like several people here on the forum it seems, I've decided to try my hand at contact printing this summer, acquiring an 8x10 back for my Sinar Norma and a couple of nice lenses to cover mild WA and longish-normal applications. I keep thinking about the long end, though (~600mm)--and given my outfit (and budget!) process lenses "in barrel" seem like the best option.

The one question I have is about bokeh--given that I'm yomping through the hills and hollers of the Eastern Woodlands and not fetched up out West shooting planar subjects like, say, the Alabama Hills, I definitely have to give a thought to out-of-focus areas, especially with forest canopy sifting the light.

I'm curious, then, what y'all's experience has been with the 24" Red Dot Artar or Nikkor 610/9 for general landscaping duty (from reading various forum threads, I know that Drew W. posited that the latter might draw with some gnarly double-line bokeh.)

Otherwise, I'd be curious about the other options (say in 450-600 range) that might be out there that would handle these kinds of OOF areas with aplomb.

Re: Long Process Lenses for Landscape? 24" RDA? APO-Nikkor 610/9?

Sinar Norma sold Apo Ronars in the Norma catalog, I have a fairly complete set and I like them. Thirty years ago I used the 240mm f9 a lot for landscape 4x5 shooting even in mountainous areas. Glenn Evans made the "donut" to forward mount the 600mm F9

Norma Rodenstock Apo-Ronar collection by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'm dusting these off to use again. My longest is a 760mm F14 that I bought for 200 Bucks. Amazingly it screwed right into a board I already had on hand. Using the Norma is a huge advantage for telephotography.

For examples of Apo Ronar 8x10 images look at Reinhart Wolf's famous books, and also his giant color prints on display in Museums and Galleries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rein...Rck44-FUvCYhWM

He was an award winning Art Director and Master Photographer. I particularly like his black and whites taken in rural Georgia USA

I'd say try it and if you don't like it, sell it on
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Dang -- everything is in focus...sorry...

I use a 24 RD occasionally on 8x10, but no experience with out of focus area's look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlabamaHills24inch.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I particularly like his black and whites taken in rural Georgia USA
    Excellent, I knew Wolf's famous architecture photos from Europe and NYC, but I'll have to look up his work from the Deep South. Otherwise, an enviable Norma collection--that 760mm must be awesome in Colorado.

Vaughn-- Ha, I definitely envy y'all's wide open spaces and "climax" forests...even in "old growth" I find myself walking on my knuckles a lot here Back East.

FWIW, the 610 Apo NIkkor (f/9) is huge compared to the 24" RDA (f/11).
    If you can find a 600 Apo NIkkor it's a little smaller than the 610.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

There was a time when the used lens market was "flooded" with APO process camera lenses of a large variety of focal lengths. Market prices were low due to the massive supply -vs- market demand. Not any more. The longer focal length 24" - 600mm and longer are in high demand due to the uber large format folks as these have become their lenses of choice.

Out of several 24" f11 APO artars cycled decades ago, this one ended up being the keeper. It's good, very good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24%22 f11 AP) artar.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	215922

Used as a longer than normal focal length lens on 5x7 and 8x10. IMO, a bit short as a tele for 8x10, focal length of 800mm or longer would produce a stronger tele effect on 8x10. On 5x7, the tele effect is more than often enough, on 4x5 the tele effect is pronounced. Often not discussed, APO artar (Red Dot or non Red Dot) in barrel has very good out of focus rendition. This is partly due to the very round iris in the Goerz barrel. Lots of these have been re-mounted into later Copal# 3 which does not have a round iris impacting the out of focus rendition. Know most do not use an APO artar this way, most stop these lenses down well past f22 rendering the out of focus rendition insignificant.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Thanks! I admit it's a habit of mine to leverage a weak mind and strong back, but I wasn't looking forward to toting 95mm filters if I couldn't find the gel inserts.

Bernice, excellent info on the RDA's--thank you. For the present time (read: until somebody starts paying me cash money) I'm taking ~600mm as my upper limit as to what I can reasonably handle in the field. Otherwise that's excellent news about the Artars rendering--I'm not out to try to shoot an 8x10 like a medium format camera of course, but it sounds like much the more versatile lens for the "intimate" landscapes I find myself exploring.

The APO ronar 600mm f9 and APO Nikkor f9 are HUGE. What gives the APO artar some added appeal, at f11, it is smaller and a bit easier to manage than a f9 lens at this focal length.

There are two versions of the APO artar, the original Goerz versions have a brass barrel (like the one pictured) these tend to be heavy. Later versions were made with an aluminium barrel. These are lower weight with the same optical performance and nice round iris. IMO, if taking a lens like this outdoors, the lighter weight aluminium barrel version would be preferred, but far more difficult to find these days.

Lesser known are Boyer APO-Saphir, Repro Claron (not sure they made a 600mm), APO skopar, APO-Germinar (Zeiss Jena) and .. these should be considered as longer than normal focal length lenses.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Thanks! I admit it's a habit of mine to leverage a weak mind and strong back, but I wasn't looking forward to toting 95mm filters if I couldn't find the gel inserts.

Bernice, excellent info on the RDA's--thank you. For the present time (read: until somebody starts paying me cash money) I'm taking ~600mm as my upper limit as to what I can reasonably handle in the field. Otherwise that's excellent news about the Artars rendering--I'm not out to try to shoot an 8x10 like a medium format camera of course, but it sounds like much the more versatile lens for the "intimate" landscapes I find myself exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    ...Vaughn-- Ha, I definitely envy y'all's wide open spaces and "climax" forests...even in "old growth" I find myself walking on my knuckles a lot here Back East.
    I have used the 24" RD with 8x10 and 7x17 in the redwoods...not often. Even the 19" RD does not see a lot of action, but both more under the redwoods than out under the open skies. Mostly due to the lack of a shutter (another reason why rarely have out of focus areas -- I have to close down enough to get at least a one second exposure. I have done 1/2 second and even 1/4 second (accurately is a different story), but I prefer to work around 2 to 4 seconds if possible. The heck with f64 -- let's do f90!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

A photo for reference, the late, aluminum barrel 24" RDA on top of the Apo NIkkor 610.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    If you can find a 600 Apo NIkkor it's a little smaller than the 610.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x600s.jpg  
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com