Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Process Lenses for Landscape? 24" RDA? APO-Nikkor 610/9?

Re: Long Process Lenses for Landscape? 24" RDA? APO-Nikkor 610/9?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    A photo for reference, the late, aluminum barrel 24" RDA on top of the Apo NIkkor 610.
    Ha, that is a bulky lens, but one thing that led me (halfway) down the path was that the 610/9 still isn't quite as heavy as the Nikon 600mm tele.

Vaughn--your times are interesting: with FP4+ I'm almost always having to deal with reciprocity and exposures between 30 seconds and three minutes. (Your canopy might be high, but I guess mine is thick.)

Otherwise, thanks for all the replies. One more question, what would be the process for fitting an RDA into a Sinar board assuming I don't have an universal iris clamp? I'm thinking SK Grimes might be the place to start, but any tips appreciated.

CB, out of curiosity I did a search for RD Artars' weights, found this: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-82143.html. It gives a weight of 41 oz for the 24 incher. Could be for a lens in a brass barrel.

My Nikon catalogs say that the 600/9 (tessar type) and 610/9 (dialyte type) Apo-Nkkors weigh, respectively, 775 and 1,450 g. FWIW, my 610/9 A-N is in an aluminum barrel and weighs 1,377 g.

Those times were for out in the sun and trying to use a shutter-less lens.-- in the redwoods it is several minutes plus.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Could be for a lens in a brass barrel.
    Thanks for the info--I think you're right about yours being a brass construction, though in the cosmic scheme of things folks use those plasmats-as-big-as-your-head in-shutter and seem no worse for wear. Otherwise, that's an interesting data point about the relative sizes of the APO-Nikkors, though I've not seen a 600mm listed.

Snow Gum Dance, Charlotte Pass
    Gelatin -silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.6cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 100 negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with an Apo-Nikkor 610mm f9 lens working at f128.

Why f128? So I could give a 2 second exposure via lens cap. Can't do faster with any accuracy.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Excellent, the Nikkor is certainly handling the busy background at that aperture at least.