Thread: Any suggestions for packing away a D-II?

Any suggestions for packing away a D-II?

I'm being gifted an Omega D-2 with all the accessories. Literally everything.
    Far and away more complete than my current D-II set up.
    My generous friend suggests to keep the D-II as most of the parts interchange so what I need to do is pack up the "II" and move it to the garage to make room for the incoming "2"
    My issue is that I need to dismantle the "II" into pieces that can be boxed and sealed against garage dust even though I'd prefer to keep it together---there simply isn't enough clearance in my rafters and besides my herniated lumbar discs suggest that waltzing such an awkward and heavy item onto the rafter isn't the best of ideas.

So I'm asking, how do I dismantle a D-II into reasonable number of components for storage?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Any suggestions for packing away a D-II?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'm being gifted an Omega D-2 … how do I dismantle a D-II into reasonable number of components for storage?
    I remember sharing the following tips for disassembling a D2v for safe transport, but you might easily adapt them for disassembling your de-commissioned D-II (non-v) for safe storage.

Plus you might consider adapting these (D2v) tips for transporting your friend’s gifted D-2 to your house.

1) Make sure you’ve securely locked the enlarger’s chassis (the part that goes up and down) to the column by tightening the lock knob.

[Note: tips 2 and 3 below would mostly be for the D2v version w/ VC box some may have.]

2) Remove/loosen the 4 knurled thumb screws that attach the lamphouse/VC box to the four lever arms.

3) Remove the lamphouse + VC box + main condenser housing, as one assembly, and carefully set it aside. Or, you can remove the 3 pieces one at a time. In any case, once the assembly is removed, separate it into its 3 pieces for easiest transport. To be extra safe, you might also remove the variable condenser lens from the VC box – making a fourth piece.

4) Now back to the column. Unhook the counterbalance spring tapes from the upper back axle, and let the tapes back into their cartridges – carefully! If you let them snap back, someone might get hurt and cry, or the hooks might break off. (To make this safer, you might raise-up the chassis, shortening the length of exposed tape, then detach the hooks.)

5) I’d go ahead and fully retract the bellows to help protect them for the journey. You might even remove the bellows by unscrewing the tiny 4-top and 4-bottom screws.

6) Now, with someone else holding up the column, remove all three bolts holding the three clamps that anchor the column to the metal base plate. (This plate is directly attached to the base board.)

7) Reattach the clamps to the plate for travel (that is, if you’re taking the base board with you).

Now you can carry all your pieces to the closet (or vehicle!) with ease.

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Good luck with the D-II's dis-assembly and storage – then the D2's transport and re-assembly.

A heavy undertaking!

When you're done, hope you can share an image of the D2, standing proud and tall in your darkroom.

I moved my D-II from Rochester NY to Alexandria VA in late '17, and then to Tucson (where I set it up). Then in early '19 I moved it across town, and set it up again in its permanent (I hope) home. It went back together easily and is now back in service.
    1) remove light source (in this case a Z-VI cold light) and associated hardware (stabilizer & timer)These go with 2) lenses and boards, neg carriers etc. all in one box. 3) loosen the carriage lock and let the carriage rise to the top of the column. This will go in another box after you 4) remove the column from the baseboard. (The toughest part will be finding a carton to hold the column/carriage.) Do not remove the carriage from the column. I shipped the baseboard without a box- it survived quite well. John, I can loan you a Versalab laser alignment tool if you need it when setting up your new machine.

Thanks for the offer Mark, but I think we can move the D2 without disassembly. The hard part now is finding good cardboard boxes large enough for the Dll column.
    An unfinished furniture store near Costco looks to have has cardboard box potential

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Thanks for the offer Mark, but I think we can move the D2 without disassembly. The hard part now is finding good cardboard boxes large enough for the Dll column.
    An unfinished furniture store near Costco looks to have has cardboard box potential
    Uhaul does have "wardrobe" boxes, lamp boxes and sports utility in different sizes.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Just after I seal any box, I write the date and my initials

Perhaps, if all kinds of things are in box, I put a list INSIDE, code outside

If movers handle the boxes, I write lies on the box, to protect expensive, rare or dangerous objects

Very important practice if 'the stuff' is getting stored by movers

Learned in factory where we had the 'stacker' which held 600 pallet boxes

Lot's of secrets in those boxes

Factory records, banker boxes had 'Destroy After Date' they were stacked in order of date, in another place

The factory was 1 million sq feet, as I was on Emergency Team, we were issued a tiny card that showed the 20 major locations. Everything stopped when the PA alarm sounded and a code was verbally issued.

Walk fast, do not run.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 21-May-2021 at 15:24.
    Tin Can