Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 210 for travel and landscape: Heliar or Schneider?

Re: 210 for travel and landscape: Heliar or Schneider?

Nikkor M 200mm f8 or Fujinon A 180 f9 - both lightweight, lots of coverage, but slow. If you are going to be in gloomy conditions then an f5.6 makes sense, perhaps the Fujinon 210mm f5.6 - with the lettering on the outside of the front element since it will be multicoated. The Fujinon 210mm f5.6 with inside lettering in an older copal shutter is single coated but just covers 8x10 so that is another option if you want to use it in a larger format.

Heilar works good for landscapes as does the Schneider. Question is the print results you're after. What makes the Heilar different is the out of focus rendition and transition from in to out of focus. The Heilar effect is good down to about f8-f11, once past f11 that personality of the Heilar is diminished what make the Heilar different from others. The Schneider plasmat is going to optimized for f22 everything in apparent focus lens. While f5.6 makes a bright image on the GG, price for that is physical size and weight. Going down to a full aperture f8 or f9 lens results in a significantly smaller lens and they are often everything in sort of focus at f22 lens much the same as the f5.6 Schneider plasmat.

Question of which one to use, depends completely on what your print image goals are. There is no ideal, just choices driven on needs and goals.

Bernice

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...9-210-mm/page1

I found here that it does cover 4x5, ?

Drew Wiley

Try the 200 Nikkor M. Very compact and plenty bright for outdoor shooting. Another especially compact option of very high optical quality would be the 210 G-Claron, already mentioned. Why travel with a lightweight 4x5 camera and match it with heavy lenses? No need. Remember to factor in the extra weight and bulk of larger filters needed for larger diameter lenses.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 17-May-2021 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Try the 200 Nikkor M. Very compact and plenty bright for outdoor shooting. Another especially compact option of very high optical quality would be the 210 G-Claron, already mentioned.
    Only on this forum does a guy who already owns two 210mm lenses and asks which one to pack gets advised to buy a third one. We are really the worst enablers of GAS.
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Drew Wiley

You got it all wrong. The only focal length I have more than three of is 360 mm. I don't even own a 210 anymore, just the 200M, so something or someone in the universe has to balance that out.

Quote Originally Posted by lenicolas View Post
    Only on this forum does a guy who already owns two 210mm lenses and asks which one to pack gets advised to buy a third one. We are really the worst enablers of GAS.
    Go to the Leica forum, they advise you to collect four 35 Summicrons

If it is a question of weight you know the answer.

Reality is no matter which you choose you will find compositions where you will say "if only I had brought the other lens".
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Thanks to all, I decided for the Repro-Claron, having checked with the reliable seller that it covers 4x5. It’s real flat and the only Nikkor-M 200 I could find at the moment was quite expensive plus Japan customs.
    @Willie: I know that feeling and pretend that. I have learned to live with it, but certainly good to remember. Anyways, this whole project is more a Zen and the art of motordriving thing, where process should be more important than result.

Thanks to all, I decided for the Repro-Claron, having checked with the reliable seller that it covers 4x5. It’s real flat and the only Nikkor-M 200 I could find at the moment was quite expensive plus Japan customs.
    @Willie: I know that feeling and pretend that I have learned to live with it, but certainly good to remember. Anyways, this whole project is more a Zen and the art of motordriving thing, where process should be more important than result.