Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to shorten a Sinar rail?

How to shorten a Sinar rail?

I would like to shorten my 6" Sinar extension rail. I'm sure that this has been done before and think I remember seeing this covered by a post, but my searches come up blank. If someone has done this, I am looking for instructions ideally or hints on how to do this.
    Thanks...

Re: How to shorten a Sinar rail?

There is an 85mm Sinar rail on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

If you just have to do it, visit a machine shop unless you have the right equipment.

Unless there is access to machine tools, skills, knowledge and related materials, resources don't try this. The rail will be wrecked-ruined as the tolerances involved are in the 0.001" or 0.04mm range. Sinar parts are precision items, unless there is the ability to achieve this degree of precision just do try it.

Curious, why the need to shorten a 6" rail?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I would like to shorten my 6" Sinar extension rail. I'm sure that this has been done before and think I remember seeing this covered by a post, but my searches come up blank. If someone has done this, I am looking for instructions ideally or hints on how to do this.
    Thanks...

I shortened a Linhof Kardan Bi rail so I could carry the 5 x 7 on the short rail all set up and ready to mount on the tripod then just add a rail and shoot. Worked fine. But I shortened it TO about 6 -8 inches. The way I did it was to take it to a local tool and die maker. He did a beautiful job. it mates up perfectly to the other rail sections. Looks like it was manufactured that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Curious, why the need to shorten a 6" rail? Bernice
    For an 8x10 Sinar "Handy". The base of my 8x10 Norma back and the rail clamp only need a rail to be 4.5" long. Current 6" rail is about an inch too long to fit inside the narrow bottom of a backpack that I already have.

Les

Having done various hacks, I'd approach it this way.....w/caution. I'm assuming there is no thread where the cut would take place. Decent table saw should be able to accomplish this. However, many saws may not cut clean and there is the rub. Using a cut-off metal blade would likely do the trick. But, without installing a solid plug (wood, etc) into the empty chamber of the rail.....I likely would avoid attempting this.

If things go off-rail (pun) a tiny bit, one can even things with a file. No doubt I'd employ a "V" type holder to make sure the piece sits securely and attention paid to clamp the rail appropriately.....without damaging by brute force. Being a custom one-of-a-kind operation....it's hard to know the outcome. Is the rail made of metal or aluminum ? More than likely I'd practice with a similar size metal/alum tube.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    For an 8x10 Sinar "Handy". The base of my 8x10 Norma back and the rail clamp only need a rail to be 4.5" long. Current 6" rail is about an inch too long to fit inside the narrow bottom of a backpack that I already have.
    Rather then butcher the rail and its future value why not just get a larger bag?

using a machine can get out of control very fast. why not just use a hack saw, then file it clean?

I used to know a machinist friend (he was a Master Machinist in the Navy) who could build anything metal. He always told me "Never use a power tool when a hand tool will do". Hack Saw and File?
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain